Suggestions for monitoring headphones

Jedman

Due to the apartment situation, I can't have any *loud* music on...no big speakers, etc...it's only for a few more months, so I'd like to get some monitoring headphones.
I'm looking for suggestions on a good quality set, but at the same time not break the bank.
Thanks for any help on this one!
Jed

You'll find it'll be very difficult to get a good perspective on how your source sounds if you don't also have even a small pair of speakers to track thru....

In any case -- there are good models by Sony, AKG, AudioTechnica, BeyerDynamic...

There's no other way to find headphones (or monitors, for that matter) than choosing a price point and comparing them to find the ones that work best for your ears.....

Thanks Bear. I'll just look around town then, and see what the local guys have. Doesn't sound like it's too important of a buy, because I suppose it really doesn't matter - headphones won't get it right, but they'll be a temporary measure here.
Appreciate your time,
Jed

you CANNOT accurately monitor music to come out of speakers via headphones. you may well with experience find that you can roughly predict how a soundfield will be over phones, but they simply do not interface with our auditory systems the same way that speakers do.

it would be prudent to do both-perhaps the sensitivity and absurd intimacy of headphones would be best suited to get SPL matching and noise checking, but you should use speakers to see how the soundstage plays in open space, on speakers. use both, and when you're satisfied, use both again, more in a casual listening sense, to see that the overall work brings you joy (you should obviously listen to the work many many times on both, but i'm simply suggesting a method to perceptually distance the more technical work from the actual listening experience one is to derive, which may or may not (i'd go with may typically) require a little more technical tweaking for satisfaction.

what one could do, given issues with noise levels, is get a decent-sounding pair of small, sensitive speakers, and just listen at a closer distance from them than one would with larger speakers.

Back