suggestions for getting a new snare

hardcore guy

I'm, in the market for a new snare. I wan't something loud as hell with ring and overtones galore and nice body tuned to a medium-high pitch. It seems like a trend to try to drown a drums tone with die cast hoops and muffling rings and whatnot. But I want my snare to bite you in the ass with a loud yet full bodied crack and keep singing with medium-long decay and some sweet ass ringing.
Any suggestions? Currently I'm looking into a Pearl Ultracast in 14x6.5. I tend to prefer metal snares.

Build it yourself - you'll learn a lot, get what you want, and be proud of it.

I've got a 14x5 10-ply maple snare with brass die-cast hoops that I built, all top of the line hardware just cause I'm an idiot - It sounds awesome, though I think I'm going to buy a 6" or 6.5" shell and see what that's like... I use an Evans Geneva head on top and an Ambassador reso on the bottom. We're in the process of recording a new cd - so if you wait a few days I can probably get some clips up for you. PM me and let me know if you'd want them.

Check out some of the techniques for proper shell preparation - the inside should be polished very lightly - the more polished the inside is the more ring your drum will produce. The sharper your bearing edges on the rims, the more resonance you'll get - the duller the edges the warmer the sound, but too dull sounds bad imo. Anyway just opening some ideas to you. Goodluck.

Multi-purpose fire-cracker of a snare

The snare I have is a Pearl brass shell floating snare in the 14" x 6.5" size. I bought this one not having anything particular in mind. I just spent several hours one day in a local Guitar Center playing every snare they had on the wall. With no dampening of any kind, this baby is loud and it has a grin inducing crack to it. Some times I put a small piece of felt between the snare chains and resonant head to muffle the snares. Left toward the out side, the felt only midly muffles the chain. The closer to center I move the felt the drier the snare sound is. Add zero rings to the top and softens the crack and ends up more like a smoother jazz snare. After owning it for 3 years, I'm still totally satisfied.

Eric

This is what I use. Its the Tama Lar's Ulrich snare. Loud as hell.

Attachments

• LU1465-1b23f7a7d30e345e6036a4277bd2a1fe.jpg
    LU1465-1b23f7a7d30e345e6036a4277bd2a1fe.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 111
nobody has addressed my need for ring! i want hefty spoonfuls of ringy overtones. many metal snares with some die cast rims can give me and awesome loud crack and i like that but i want more sound from my snare than one short loud snap. if i'm going to spend $400 on it (which is about my limit) i'm going to want my baby to sing!

Hardcore,
There are other competant snares available but a Ludwig Black Beauty is something you should hear.
Also if you're looking for a darker courser ring tone, the you might consider an 8 lug snare. I have a c. 1964 Grestch brass shell 8 lug that can be quite the 'honker' if I tune it down a bit.

Cheers
Iain
Cheers
Iain

hardcore guy said:
nobody has addressed my need for ring! i want hefty spoonfuls of ringy overtones. many metal snares with some die cast rims can give me and awesome loud crack and i like that but i want more sound from my snare than one short loud snap. if i'm going to spend $400 on it (which is about my limit) i'm going to want my baby to sing!

one of my snares is a 4 x 14 yamaha birch custom absolute. it has a lot of ring, but is a little high pitched because of its depth. midwest percussion sells the 7 x 14 model for $339

hardcore guy said:
The Lars snare I suggested has lots of ring. Listen to Some Kind Of Monster, and see if thats enough ring for ya!

hardcore guy said:

You need a thinner head to get ring. Try a clear Ambassador and tune a few lugs a tad bit higher than the rest. No muffling. That'll give you plenty of ring.

Also, don't strike the drum in the center of the head. Hit off to the side.

I haven't heard some kind of monster but are you sure he's even using that snare in the recording? i think on that album they tried not to pull any fancy studio tricks to make it sound raw or whatever so maybe the tone of the snare in the recording is actually the tone live. but, he also has a signature bell brass snare and i'm not even sure if he actually uses either of his signature snares, seems to me like most artists with signature snares don't even use them.

hardcore guy said:
I haven't heard some kind of monster but are you sure he's even using that snare in the recording? i think on that album they tried not to pull any fancy studio tricks to make it sound raw or whatever so maybe the tone of the snare in the recording is actually the tone live. but, he also has a signature bell brass snare and i'm not even sure if he actually uses either of his signature snares, seems to me like most artists with signature snares don't even use them.
With a blackdot tuned high and no muffling I can get the exact sound of Monster. I usually use an Aquarion coated to tone it down a bit.

You want a good versatile snare drum with good ring and tone? Then get a Ludwig Acrilite!!! They're a 5x14 Aluminum shell, 8 lug and thy're about $150 used. I have one and it's an awesome drum. You can get the best sounds out of it and it is very versatile. I use a clear ambassador snare on the bottom and a coated Emperor (with the bottom black dot BE-0114-10) on top. If you want a lower pitched snare, then use the same drum with a clear Remo Pinstripe on top. Mine is from the early '70's and looks brand new. It also has the muffler inside it and it still works and makes no noise (some of them will rattle). Great drum, plenty of ring and LOUD! I can't believe nobody mentioned it!

hardcore guy said:
I'm, in the market for a new snare. I wan't something loud as hell with ring and overtones galore and nice body tuned to a medium-high pitch. It seems like a trend to try to drown a drums tone with die cast hoops and muffling rings and whatnot. But I want my snare to bite you in the ass with a loud yet full bodied crack and keep singing with medium-long decay and some sweet ass ringing.
Any suggestions? Currently I'm looking into a Pearl Ultracast in 14x6.5. I tend to prefer metal snares.

Pearl Sensitone kicks ass. one of my friends has a 5"x14" and man that thing kills! And the great part is you can get them for about $160 or so.

Tim

Last edited:
cobradenim said:
You want a good versatile snare drum with good ring and tone? Then get a Ludwig Acrilite!!! They're a 5x14 Aluminum shell, 8 lug and thy're about $150 used. I have one and it's an awesome drum. You can get the best sounds out of it and it is very versatile. I use a clear ambassador snare on the bottom and a coated Emperor (with the bottom black dot BE-0114-10) on top. If you want a lower pitched snare, then use the same drum with a clear Remo Pinstripe on top. Mine is from the early '70's and looks brand new. It also has the muffler inside it and it still works and makes no noise (some of them will rattle). Great drum, plenty of ring and LOUD! I can't believe nobody mentioned it!

I'll second the Acrolite. It is a great loud snare, and you should be able to pick one up at a pawn shop for about $50 to $75 used.

Tim

lilblakdak said:
This is what I use. Its the Tama Lar's Ulrich snare. Loud as hell.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't buy anything associated with Lars Ulrich. He's a crappy drummer, who is just a little loudmouth.

Tim

Last edited:
Back