suggestions for dynamic mic upgrade

Hi_Flyer

so I'm thinking about my next mic purchase... prolly gonna save up for a bit, but I wanna go with a dynamic.

I have a couple SM57s and an Audix i5 in the arsenal, but I want something better, along the lines of EV RE-20, Shure SM7, sort of next level up from the SM57 class of mics...

I'm willing to spend $200-300 or so, although I'll be looking to buy used to get the most bang for the buck.

It will prolly end up getting thrown on different sources, but I think primarily I am looking for something for loud rock guitar amps/cabs. It will prolly paired with my GT Brick mi pre most often.

any suggestions on how to decide on a specific mic? I'm considering the two mentioned above, also maybe a Sennheiser MD421?? maybe Shure beta series? are the mics in this price range pretty much all the same? is one of them gonna be better on a loud guitar amp?

input is appreciated. Thanks!

I have all of those mics except the Beta. Each of them is good on most things and truly great on some things. The RE-20 and SM7 are the most broadly applicable and my SM7s get chosen/used more than the RE-20, especially for vocal duties. For cabs, I'd pick the SM7 narrowly over the other two (although all 3 will do pretty well there). IMHO, the 421 is the better mic for Toms - it is the classic Tom mic. It's usable, but nearly as good as the SM7 or RE-20 on vocals. The RE-20 excels on horns, bass and kick. if I was to pick just one to purchase first, I'd get the SM7, especially if you aren't micing drums much.

The Sm7 probably requires the most gain from your preamp and you might be pushing the limit with the Brick which isnlt a high gain pre. Perhaps someone with a Brick and an SM7 can chime here. There are several SM7s available used over on the GS Board Classified and at least one RE-20/PL-20 was offered there last week. Worth a look.

If you can manage it go try out the Heil PR30. I tried one out for vocals and didn't like it but it sounded as though it would be a nice choice for guitar amps. I believe I read somewhere that it is pretty good in that role too.

eh... gain shouldn't be a problem, I can always squeeze some more gain out of the channel on my Otari MX5050 if I need it. I haven't run into headroom problems with my SM57s/i5 yet, in fact, I usually need to attenuate the signal to tape because its way too hot. I record loud amps!

I guess a follow up question is this: how much of an improvement in sound quality should I expect from mics in this price level compared to mics in the SM57 level? How would you describe the the improvement or difference in sound? Is the improvement worth it (and I realize this is somewhat subjective) or should I just grab another "flavor" in the price range of the SM 57 (say an e609)?

I do mic drums too, but I usually record at least one guitar at the same time. I really want something top notch for the guitar (especially for MY GUITAR HA!) and it would free up a 57 for a tom or something.

if it doubled as a solid vocal mic, that would be sweet. I haven't been too happy with my SP C3 lately.

you may find this helpful:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=257706

I posted a bunch of clips of a reamped short guitar line through a [not-real-loud] single EL84 amp -- mics included SM57, I5, SM7b, beta57a, EV RE10 (*not* the RE20 - big difference) and some ribbons - all with the same pre with the same gain settings, etc., and pretty much the same position relative to the amp (different shaped mics don't always allow for exactly the same positioning).

Depending on the mic and application, the results will be noticeably bigger and smoother than the SM-57. Especially true on vocals and bass, but also certainly the case on cabs and drums. Not a comparison on horns. My SM7 got picked over my other more expensive condensers for vocal duties so frequently that I bought a second one. I doubt that you would have a gain problem if you are primarily recording loud cabs:D I view the RE-20 and SM7 as desert island mics.

Back