Suggestions for ADAT to laptop

Sklathill

Soundcard Junkie
I like to think I'm pretty well versed in the sound card world, but right now I'm trying to wrap my head around portable stuff...since I'm getting my first laptop. :D YAY! Finally, my own portable Sonar and Sibelius machine...

But...here's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a cheap solution for ADAT (preferable 2x) to laptop. I've got an M-audio Octane and a Behringer ADA8000 that I'd like to use to get me 16 mic preamps on the go. Right now I'm seeing...

The Behringer BCA2000. After some searching, looks like no one on this board actually has one. Awfully big for something I'll be using JUST for ADAT, and apparently using the ADAT IO disables all the other IO on the unit. Not to mention, who really knows about behringer audio interface driver quality...

Then the next jump is up to the 600 dollar range with the M-audio 1814, The Tascam 1804, MOTU stuff beyond that, etc... And I'd really like to spend less than that.

Am I missing something? Surely there must be some laptop/portable equivalent of all these ADAT only PCI cards that have been released throughout the years...

Maybe I should get a used MOTU 828?

(Man, if I was an sound card company, I'd build a barebones laptop ADAT I/O of some sort...)

Hell with it .... spend the $800 and get the RME CardBus and a Digiface.

You know you want it. :D

However, you are right. It would be nice to have a simple multi-channel ADAT interface. Be it PCMCIA or FireWire for a laptop.

Back