Suggestions for a new DI

ColdAsh

Im looking a buying a new DI for recording guitar (using Guitar Rig amp modeler). Currently im using the floor board that comes with guitar rig but im looking to get something a little better sounding. I was hoping to spend around $200-300 Australian ($150-$225 US)
Im considering the groove tubes Brick, although its about twice my budget because i would also get use out of it as a preamp (plus ive noticed most of my clean guitar sounds are a little to sterile and brittle so im hoping using a valve based DI might help a little) . But my main use for it would be as a DI so i need it to be able to compete with stand alone DIs.
So please list any suggestions as to any quality DIs in my price range

I'll second the Radial JDI. Very nice passive DI. If you really want a tube DI and don't really need the mic preamp, just get a GT Ditto. It's essentially the DI section of the Brick. They are a lot cheaper too. They go for @ $150 used here in the US.

Thanks for that.
Now I have to decide if i want to save a bit of money and get the JDI or if its worths paying extra and getting the Brick so i have a preamp as well.
Can anyone give tell me how the Brick and JDI compare as DIs?

I concur.
The Radial JDI ($179) or a Countryman Type 85 ($159).

Also zzounds / musicansfriends dont ship to Oz.
Best place would be 8thstreet.com nice guys there also.

The Brick would sound nice on guitar, as would the DITTO. Radial is a whole different sound, but they are high quality devices.

I would go with either a Radial or a BSS DI. I would avoid the Coutryman. They sound pretty good ( no better than the Radial or BSS in my opinion) but the build quality is far less than spectacular. I would also avoid the GT stuff for this specific task, but it would be handy to maybe have a Brick around for other things, so that makes the decision a little tougher I guess. The DI's however are cheaper:)

xstatic said:
I would avoid the Coutryman. They sound pretty good ( no better than the Radial or BSS in my opinion) but the build quality is far less than spectacular.

You gotta be joking me? :eek:

I've had mine for almost 12 years, it spent the first 5 years on the road being used most nights of the week. It's been dropped from tall buildings and run over by a tour bus and it STILL sounds as good as the day I bought it.

We are talking about the Type 85 FET DI box, right? :confused:

LemonTree said:
We are talking about the Type 85 FET DI box, right?

Here's a +1 on the Countryman. If you can't get a great sound out of it, it's NOT the DI that's at fault.

cheers,
wade

NL5 said:
What the difference between that and the J48?

Radial JDI is a passive box with a Jensen transformer. P48 is an active box, powered by phantom power, with no Jensen transformer.

Sorry Lemontree, but I am talking about the type 85 Countryman box. I do have one very old one that I hardly have to mess with, but I also have 12 that are all between 4 and 7 years old. EVERY time I pull them out I have to repair jacks, tighten screws etc... They never really fully break down, but they require much more maintenance than I would like. Having talked with many other friends in the rental industry, they feel the same way. We all keep them around because they do sound good, and because they are very requested (it's what people know because they have been around for so long without much real competition). I also happen to have 12 BSS direct boxes. Personally, I actually like their sound a little better, but that could be superstition. What I do know for sure is that I have had all 12 BSS boxes for 4 years now and I have NEVER had to do any maintenance or repairs on any of them. They stack nicely, have cool rubber sides, are easier to get to battery compartments on, are clearly labeled and have a light to show when they are receiving power (which is very convenient), have more pads, and an XLR male and female connection. When you consider that the price is about the same on them, I just can't find a single reason to buy a Countryman instead. Personally, I also like the Radial boxes as well. I like the sound of them, and they are built well. I do like that Radial offers different types of boxes also.

xstatic said:
Sorry Lemontree, but I am talking about the type 85 Countryman box. I do have one very old one that I hardly have to mess with, but I also have 12 that are all between 4 and 7 years old. EVERY time I pull them out I have to repair jacks, tighten screws etc... They never really fully break down, but they require much more maintenance than I would like.

:( Sadly, I find the same thing. They just rattle after awhile, and I gotta take them apart to see what fell off this time.

Yup, sometimes you can let 'em rattle for weeks but eventually you have to open her up. Like being married I guess.

I have had the JDI, J48, and Brick. I had a little shootout with all three. I liked the JDI a lot and it sounded very similar to the J48 to me. The pre I was running them into was the SCA J99. I ended up going with the J48 in the end. I think it had a little more gain, and maybe an extra function or two. If I had it to do all over, I would have gotten that package with the J48 and the reamp thing for like $300; instead of just the J48 for like $180 or something. The Brick hangs in there with them though. It sounds a bit fatter, but not quite as crisp. I guess what you might expect as the stereotypical "warm tube" sound.

If you have a nice preamp to run your DI into, then either the JDI or the J48 would be great. If all you have are like Behr*nger pres or other crap, the Brick will be very useful for you.

Forgive me if I'm not getting it, but doesn't your amp modeler put out a line out? If so, what do you need a DI box for at all? Generally, a DI box is used to change an instriment output into a mic level out to go into a recorder or PA. I'm assuming either your amp modeler puts out an instrument out (that would be unusual) or your recorder has no line in (that also, would be unusual).-Richie

Thats a good catch Richie. I was under the impresison though that the amp modeler that is being referred to in the original post was software. If it is a hardware modeler, there really isn't w whole lot of reason to use a DI at all unless you need a ground lift, or to change the tone, but most DI's that are somewhat affordable don't do enough of that to really be worth the expense.

Back