suggestions and criticsms invited and gratefully accepted!

toobalicious

a friend asked me to help them record a demo of covers this past weekend. they basically didnt know how to use the equipment, thus the request. tracking was severely limited by:

-only being able to record 8 at once (was recorded live save for the vocal overdub). used a 16 channel mackie board with 4 subgroups.

-room was smallish and basically untreated.

-drums sounded like crap, and he didnt even have any crash cymbals! they only had four mics available for drums, so there is a lot of "crappy room". pretty good drummer though.

-practically all of the bass guitar track in the mix is bleed through drum mics. this makes it virtually impossible to do a lot with the drums (which are crispy and thin as-is) without making the bass overbearing and muddy.

-vocalist *insisted* on doing her vocal live, with PA (i was the only one wearing cans). consequently, the original vocal (that was agreeably sub-par) is all over the drum tracks, and the subsequent overdub isnt exactly the same (actually, quite a bit better). it sticks out like a sore thumb in a few places. yes, there is too much reverb. this was a compromise---she wanted delay on there too! decent vocalist, but insecure. we used a low-end mxl LDC for the overdub, which worked a lot better than did the WIRELESS 58 she wanted to use, lol.

i mixed this into the compy and did cursory processing with t-racks.

any suggestions on how to sweeten this up are appreciated! i am not used to working with such bad sounds, and frankly am having some problems with it. there are 7 more tracks of similar quality for me to deal with.

here is a wave file (since mp3 makes it that much worse):
http://www.mediafire.com/?nw1c6e1md90

and here is an mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1duxbzdjzxw

TIA, as always

a

Well, with the obstacles you describe, this sounds really really good.

yay!

~Shawn

heh, i appreciate your vote of confidence; thanks for listening.

any ideas on giving the drums some more body? what about the keys? can you believe that came out of a roland fantom? me neither--- sounds a little more casio-riffic than i would prefer. what about the guitar? its a little lo-fi and is un-effected save for a little verb, but i was thinking it was sort of appropriate to the mix. really, you think the mix is acceptable as-is?

for a function/wedding/party-type band, they do alright. they have asked me to start running live sound for them too, but it will be hard for me to commit to something like that.

anyway, thanks for the listen.
a

thanks for that. i guess you are your own worst critic. really, i appreciate the insight. i still have the option of taking everything into the compy track-by-track; i was just sort of feeling like the "law of diminishing return" would be in full effect, and had doubts if it would be time better spent elsewhere.

oh, rep all around.

a

Back