Suggestion/Feedback on Rode NT1

qwiktune

Hey guys I'm looking to pick up a new microphone (currently using an MXL v63m) and I was thinking about trying the Rode NT1. My question however is should I go with the NT1 or older NT1a? I've given both a listen via youtube reviews and notice the NT1 seems to be a little flatter with the NT1a sounding a bit more bright. Both seem very nice and clear. This would be for use in recording HipHop vocals (male). I'm really split on which way I should go here and just wonder if anyone could give me some insight. Thanks!

The Rode site has some sound files for both. I have to admit that I have difficulty hearing the difference between two closely-related microphones such as this pair. I have heard much more from an NT1A and have been impressed with its sound for the price. I have an NT-USB that is very bright sounding when miked closely to my mouth. I really don't know that you could go wrong with either mic.

You might like to consider the new black NT1

Rode NT1

I have the older NT1, and an NT1a. I bouyght the new because I liked the look of it, which is a bit unsound. However, it is a gem.

Last night, I got curious about why Rode would have two such similar microphones. I did a bit of googling and read that (1) the Rode NT1 was redesigned from the ground up, and (2) the NT1 is an improvement over the NT1A. Thus, despite their similarities, the one to go with is the NT1. This leaves me wondering who would prefer the NT1A and why Rode still produces it.

Last night, I got curious about why Rode would have two such similar microphones. I did a bit of googling and read that (1) the Rode NT1 was redesigned from the ground up, and (2) the NT1 is an improvement over the NT1A. Thus, despite their similarities, the one to go with is the NT1. This leaves me wondering who would prefer the NT1A and why Rode still produces it.

THis is what im curious about. From what i can tell the NT1a has a brighter sound at the top end and the newer NT1 is a little more flat across the board

First there was the NT1, Rode's first microphone which emerged around the turn of the century.

Sometime after that the NT1A emerged, and became Rode's best seller.

The NT1 was eventually discontinued.

However, like a phoenix from the ashes, the NT1 re-emerged. Rode redesigned it, and other than the body, is very different from its earlier incarnation.

Here is a comparison between the NT1A and the (new) NT1. Of note are the frequency report charts. The evenness of response of the NT1 is very apparent, as is the reason behind the NT1A's characteristic brightness.

Rode NT1 vs NT1A - what's the difference? - The Red Dog Blog

Back