suggested frequencies and panning for instruments and vocals

just search this site... there are SOOO many topics and links to info on the subject. tons of good info, you just have to find it.

SecondHeartbeat said:
suggested frequencies and panning for instruments and vocals...anyone????

I suggest you keep the frequencies that sound good and cut the ones that sound bad. Pan things to where they sound good, too.

cut guitars at 2.5k when miking the speaker off axis or with a mic that is really thick in the lower mids. Pan guitars center for background/chordal stuff and wide left or right for solos with delay(so it sounds spacey).

kick and snare up the center, but maybe pan the kick 10 right or left to leave room for the bass so they don't blend together.

pan 1 overhead 50 left and the other 20 right so that the coefficient proportion is correct, this cuts out phase cancellation if you want to get into the physics stuff. This only works for overhead mics placed over 1 foot apart though.

pan vocals down the center and cut 4-6khz by 5-7db, this is the annoying range and will class with the upper harmonic structure of the bass(if the bass was well recorded).

pan toms down the center for rock(if you miked the toms at all).

keyboards can be panned anywhere.

as far as general eq cuttings cut some 3-7khz on everything and you should be in the ballpark. the sound of major label stuff comes from crunchy mids. If you're doing hip hop boost the 100 cycles about 8db so it hits hard on the car stereos.

all this stuff should get you in the ballpark, then tweak from there as you see fit.

If you want I also have all these secrets about reverb from when I was an assistant engineer in LA.

Nah, I thought I had a vision...but it just turned out to be Ted Nugent.

Back