Suggest a mic for piano?

Elle

I have a shure, sm58, and mackie. Not sure what the difference is of a condenser mic.

Can someone recommend a good mic for recording a piano in a price range of 200 -300 dollars?

Thanks!

I have recorded piano with a sm57 on one side and a axs3 on the other. Both are dynamic mics, but the sound was pretty good.Now I have two 57'S , and should be using them within the next week or two.As far as condensor's go, don't know, don't have any.

Let me know how it sounds, buying a sm57 would be less expensive . I wanted two mics anyway.

Thanks!

If you want an sm57, take the head off your sm58. Voila! (if you look around this board, you will find quite a few people have tested this out.

So true charger. Not bad advice for a thread full of newbies. Any ways Elle you have a mackie mixer? What are you recoding tracks to?

I have a mackie mixer, but I am using the Echo's Mona pre amps for comparison.

Also, in addition of the Sm58 "head", I also had a foam cover over the mic. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference when I record with both of them off.

I have heard of a major studio in my city using RCA ribbon mics....2 of them Don't know much about them, but if you search around the net, you may drum up some more detailed info..... (They are probably pricey, and vintage though)

I would use small diaphragm condensors for piano, 2 of them. Perhaps the Octava MC-012 or the AKG C1000. Piano is a very difficult instrument to record. I would not use 57's or 58's, unless that was all I had access to, but I can't believe you're going to get a good recording of piano with either of them.

Elle, blinddogblues is giving you good advice. A pair of Oktava MC012s or Marshall MXL603S mics would be the best way to go for the lowest possible amount of money. Set them a little way back from the piano in either X/Y, or wide spacing (if it's a solo piano). If it has to sit into a mix with other instruments get in closer and possibly remove the lid, placing one mic over the low strings and the second over the treble strings.

You'll hafta play with the mic positioning till you find the perfect spots in any of these setups.

Thanks Harvey,

I did notice a sweet spot for placing the sm58. Are the mics you mentioned condenser, or dynamic?

BTY, what's the difference, the phantom power? I noticed the recording level was lower with the sm58 , even though I had the preamp turned on. If I stuck the mic right on top of the strings it was louder, but sounded horrible.

Elle said:
Thanks Harvey,

I did notice a sweet spot for placing the sm58. Are the mics you mentioned condenser, or dynamic?
They're condensor mics.
BTY, what's the difference, the phantom power? I noticed the recording level was lower with the sm58 , even though I had the preamp turned on. If I stuck the mic right on top of the strings it was louder, but sounded horrible.
They use a charged condensor design (no voice coil) to generate the sound, so they're a little louder that an SM58 dynamic mic. They usually have a smoother response curve than dynamics mics that were originally designed for vocals.

If the capsule of a condensor mic is not "pre-polarized" (stores its own charge, often known as an "electret"), a condensor mic requires the phantom power for the diaphragm charge and the electronics.

Back