Subwoofer

Dj17

I'd like to buy a subwoofer to go with my Yamaha MSP5. Last time I came here, I didn't see too many people who owned those. Anybody has an idea what would go well with them? I have no experience with subwoofers so I have no idea what I need specifically. 250-350$ would be my budget, but I might consider paying a little more if it's really worth it.

Thanks!

You won't regret it, DJ. I've read that the Tannoy 8" ($300) is a solid choice, but I've been very satisfied with my 100-watt low-budget find, also an 8":

http://store.yahoo.com/800stereohometheater/whpo8po100wa.html

I chose this model because it has both line ins and outs, is small enough for placement under my console, and has an 8" woofer, which I felt would integrate better with my M-Audio BX5s (5"). I wanted some adjustable and punchy low end, rather than that theater-rumbling mush. But jeez, what a difference the sub makes--no more guessing about those low freqs.

Whatever you choose, just be sure to spend many hours integrating the sub so that it extends the range smoothly and predictably. I used a dozen reference CDs to do this, and once I got everything set, I'm actually unaware of the sub. That's the goal.

Good luck,
J.

yeah, its a funny science and seems insane in a way.

i did a cheapo Allen Heath RTA...and when I was happy with the sub volume per my graph...the sub was invisible in a way.

so yeah, i agree with most everyone that the sub is hardly noticeable when setup right....but its there.

any decent powered sub will probably take a work load off your Yammies too.

I'd vote go for the sub. and an 8" probably pretty tight bass.

maybe a couple snapshots...one without sub, the other with sub and Ethan traps.($10 RTA...keep in mind).

Attachments

• NO SUB BW303.JPG
    NO SUB BW303.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
  • SUB and Traps BW303.JPG
    SUB and Traps BW303.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 28
Back