Subwoofer works for awhile then stops... any reasons why?

bennie08

Hey guys, I've been trying to find a solution to this problem but to no avail. I have an Ikey M-10Sv2 active sub and it sounds nice when it works, but I've been wondering why it would stop working for a few minutes then come back on? Perhaps overheating but I'm not pushing it hard at all. I've noticed that when I'm recording it stays on with no problems however, when I play any song from my windows media player it will do what I stated above, stop then start again. It's driving me crazy to not know a reason behind it! Does anyone have any suggestion on why this could be happening? Good news or bad it'll ease my mind haha. Thanks in advance!

Hey Bennie,

Your best bet would be to do some simple testing to get to the bottom of the issue. It does sound like overheating, though.

I would try coming from a different source than you're coming from right now and see if that changes anything (ie, come from an iPod instead of the computer, etc).

Try different cables if you have any lying around.

Any other step in the chain, or any other variables...try changing them out. If you do this and there is no difference, then it could only be the sub. Or if the problem stops, you know where its coming from.

I would lastly recommend, if there is a volume control on the subwoofer, to turn it to the lowest setting, and run the signal hot to it. Then adjust the volume on the sub to where you like with the signal coming in at 100% volume. This may help the amplifier from having to work harder than necessary.

The amp inside the subwoofer could be defective if it is heat protection that is turning it off and you're not even running it hot. Have you contacted your manufacturer?

Thanks for the reply, I'll go ahead and go through your list to check into it more. I have done some of these things already and I feel like a defective amp could be the problem. I have not contacted the manufacturer yet which I will do, I've read mixed reviews about this sub and some have stated that it just quits working, most likely a defective amp. I'll go ahead and contact them and see what they say. I appreciate the reply!

Sometimes a sub sonic frequency (one you can't hear, 20-28 Hz and below) may be coming from certain sources (say your computer maybe?) and not others. If a subsonic frequency gets loud enough it can heat up the voice coil of the driver really quickly. To test this you can try and see the movement of the cone or feel it with your hand.

Now, with no source connected to the sub: can you touch the paper cone of the subwoofer? Is it moving freely? It should have ZERO resistance to being pushed against. If there is resistance, the voice coil may have overheated enough to shed some material into the tiny gap inside the voice coil, which can impede its movement. When there is no movement is when the voice coil is burnt out, or melted.

Since you get sound intermittantly I think this is not the case.

Back