Subwoofer tuning

grinder

Tuning my sub, I usually end up changing the cross-over and volume based on reference cds of the same genre of music as I'm mixing. Is this common practice or should the sub just be tuned to the room and left? If I get it sounding good with a ref. cd, that doesn't have alot of low end content, then through in NIN or something heavy, it's way too bassy. I'm mixing mainly rock/hardrock.
Thanks,
Grinder

I think you answered your own question, but I'd also test it with an RTA. In addition to crossover frequency and level, you can also play with placement.

Use pink noise and an RTA to determine a reasonable crossover point.

Then you calibrate the levels again using pink noise and an SPL meter.
- Send pink noise to ONE of the monitors (sub off) so that you read 85dB at your listening position.
- Leaving your monitoring room level control where it is, turn OFF the monitor and send the pink noise to the sub ONLY - adjust the sub's output level so that it reads 6dB lower (so it should read 79dB) than the monitor level.

Your sub is now calibrated properly and will extend the low-end frequency response of the monitoring system. NOTE: this WON'T give you earth-shattering bass at this calibration point (since that's not what a sub in a studio is supposed to be doing!)

In playing back, if you've calibrated it properly, you should only hear a subtle difference when you turn the sub on or off.

Last edited:
thanks..yellow submarine

Blue Bear Sound said:
Use pink noise and an RTA to determine a reasonable crossover point.

Then you calibrate the levels again using pink noise and an SPL meter.
- Send pink noise to ONE of the monitors (sub off) so that you read 85dB at your listening position.
- Turn OFF the monitor and send the same signal to the sub only - adjust the sub's level so that it reads 6dB lower (so it should read 79dB) than the monitor level.

Your sub is now calibrated properly and will extend the low-end frequency response of the monitoring system. NOTE: this WON'T give you earth-shattering bass at this calibration point (since that's not what a sub in a studio is supposed to be doing!)

thats a great thread & input...
good stuff and clear directions.

just re-hooked a sub today had the same ???'s (obvious why i'm here).
my 703/Ethan "freebie 1996design"corner/wall traps will be working "overtime" now!!
and some small ebay B&W DM303's (from the infamous SOS article HiFi vs Nearfields) should arrive in the morning UPS.

just finished my taxes too...might try out some small DynsBM5 too. :)

Back