Subwoofer Question

Sporkmyband

Okay...I have been struggling with the low end for a while now. The problem is that my mixes are coming out with too much sub bass energy. I am using Mackie HR624s. They don't go low enough. My question is, has anyone heard of any use of the TRUTH B2092A (YES...Behringer Monitor Sub). The other one that I might could afford and looks good is the M-Audio SBX. It seems to be more flexible, but the the M-Audio is more expensive. My Behringer headphone amp rocks, will the sub be nice and useful to me?

Hurry!

Just bought the ESI (Ego Systems) SW-8000 from Musicians Friend for $100. Thay only had three left! Check it out! Fast!

Mike

Sporky,

> my mixes are coming out with too much sub bass energy. I am using Mackie HR624s <

It's true that the 624s don't go as low as the 824s, but I doubt that's the biggest problem. I'm sure the real problem is your room. Most rooms have a deep null right in the middle of the "fullness" range - somewhere around 80 to 120 Hz. So you add way too much bass to compensate.

Before you buy a sub or anything else, you need to assess your room's low frequency response. You can do this with a simple SPL meter and some test tones. Then, once you know the true response you'll know better what to do next to solve it.

--Ethan

My Room

I agree with you about treating the room first. I have done some treatments. I don't think it is the room. I am confident in what I am hearing. The fact that the 624s simply don't play a whole chunk of low material is the reason I believe I am getting too much low end. And don't worry, as soon as I get the funds and move into my own house (probably a year and a half) I am going STRAIGHT for the Realtraps! They are SO clean and they appear to get the job done. Right now I have LENRDS, two cloth couches, heavy absorbant drapes, and auralex 2x2s. When I look at the freq analyzer on my stereo bus on a professional mix and my mix I can see where the frequencies are dropping off in the low end on most prof. mixes that I enjoy listening to. I am not hearing that material and that is why I am either adding to it, or not rolling it off enough. Thanks Ethan. I read everything you write!

Back