Subwoofer for monitoring???

EveningSky

I am monitoring through a pair of Mackie 824s.
What if any benefit would a subwoofer bring.
Is a subwoofer a good idea or a bad idea for home studio monitoring?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Yours, ES

if you're not getting enough bass out of those 824's, IMO, you need to be looking at your room acoustics first and foremost.

if there's one thing that i noticed about the 824's was the fact that there was PLENTY of bass--if not too much. it seemed overinflated and hyped to me. but maybe you're doing rap/hiphop where you need to hear and feel lots of 40Hz. I don't--i wanna know what's going on there, but i don't need to shake the walls.

fwiw, i went with the Event ASP8's instead.

cheers,
wade

i feel the mackies are sloppy on the bass so if it seems deficient to you check your room out SERIOUSLY... that said subs can be a great addition and not necessarily for the extended bottom end ... the real advantage has to do with tightening the midbass by releaving the woofers of that last 11/2 8va... it's called intermodulation distortion...

From the title of this thread, I thought you were only using a sub for monitoring. Boy am I glad I was wrong.

Wait a sec though, if you mix on a sub, and then playback on some cheapy computer speakers, you might not hear anything at all. haha.

Some companies will claim their monitors should be used with a sub, but they may just be trying to get you to buy more stuff. I do know someone who had a system from Blue Sky, and didn't like them without the sub, but with it, everything sounded correct.

Just remember to play your mix on some cheapy speakers before you cut it, to see what it will sound like on a bass-less system.

For 80hz, maybe 100hz and below a sub can do the job.

I don't think most 4,5,6" do that. Maybe 8", but then your losing some of the upper mid's the 4,5,6" drivers can do better as they can move quicker. thats how I understand the concept. very generalized.

as far as playback systems, i would think the Eng wants to have the ability of reproducing and checking the full range or as close as possible? only a sub will get that low while releiving the mid driver to concentrate on the mid freq.

so in HR they work as mains and also the "average joe's" system check without leaving the chair...which nowadays has a sub too, imo.

other playback systems, would be whats ever "in fad" at the time.
Ipod, Earpod, Qpod, Car CD with and without subs, HomeTheater with Subs....

and some gold records have been done with Radio Shack Optimus 7's.

so I give up, time to go take my medication and get in my small metal transport device and ziong my way to the dark city of overpopulation... :p

Back