Substitute for Fiberglass???

jabulani jonny

Ok guys, I was all set to go out this weekend and buy some 703 and all the necessary supplies to build some bass traps...then the wife steps in, no fiberglass in this room, covered or uncovered. There's gonna be a baby in this room in the near future. "Well I'll just move the studio to the bonus room," says I. "but I like the idea of the baby being around your music, ya'll can bond," says she, "so no fiberglass in this room, mmkay?".

I put my foot down, "honey, this is what you use, there's no good substitute, it will be covered in fabric so no particles are going to escape. It's not like these things just eminate glass fibers." Foot came back. She asked nicely for a substitute so I'm looking for one.

Any ideas on sound proofing that doesn't use fiberglass that doesn't break the bank? I'm thinking I should just go with an Auralex room kit and call it a day. I know it's overpriced and it doesn't do as well as building bass traps, but I can only do so much with the restraints.

Thoughts? Group moans?

Thx.
Jonathan

Bondedlogic ultratouch acoustical cotton. And it does nothing for soundproofing, like fiberglass and auralexx, but does wonders for acoustics... :D

So are you building a frame and wrapping it with fabric, then filling with this stuff or what? This looks very interesting.

Jonathan

jabulani jonny said:
So are you building a frame and wrapping it with fabric, then filling with this stuff or what? This looks very interesting.

Jonathan
yeah build the frame, put this in then wrap with fabric. You don't actually need the fabric with this other than to hold it in place, 'cause there is no bad fibers.

Sweet. This looks like a great solution. I'll contact the places in Georgia to see how much it runs. Out of curiosity, compared to 703, was it much more expensive?

Jonathan

jabulani jonny said:
Sweet. This looks like a great solution. I'll contact the places in Georgia to see how much it runs. Out of curiosity, compared to 703, was it much more expensive?

Jonathan
I'm unsure. In the UK it is extremely difficult to get so yeh it is expensive. You can buy it here, from Brian who lurks in these forums.

The cotton is the best solution if fiberous shedding and contamination is the concern. IMO the mineral wool is worse at shedding than 703 is. The cotton is a natural material that is still Class A fire and smoke rated.

Bryan

Fiberglass is not a carcinogen - agreed. However, the fiberglass particles can certainly be an aggravation to the lungs and tissues of an adult - much less the skin/lungs of a newborn. I understand her concern.

Realistically, if you build them outside the room and then just mount them and leave them alone, there will be little to no shedding so the risk is minimal. 'Minimal' may or may not be acceptable to a new mother.

Bryan

Auralex is pretty nice and generally looks pretty good if you get creative (I like the DST stuff). It will help tame reflections pretty well, and can help with the bass if you get the LENRDs or MegaLENRDs. Bonded cotton is a pretty good substitute for 703, but I found cutting it into wedges for superchunks to be a great pain, at least with an electric knife--it is now a non-electric handsaw.

bpape said:
Fiberglass is not a carcinogen - agreed. However, the fiberglass particles can certainly be an aggravation to the lungs and tissues of an adult - much less the skin/lungs of a newborn. I understand her concern.

Realistically, if you build them outside the room and then just mount them and leave them alone, there will be little to no shedding so the risk is minimal. 'Minimal' may or may not be acceptable to a new mother.

Bryan

I agree somewhat, but thats if you leave it exposed. The same could be said of drywall really, or that fact that there is already fiberglass there at the room. (ceiling covered with drywall etc)

I still push for the 703 and just cover it, it will be fine.

I've always been a bit weary about having 703 pannels in the room i sleep in. I've been told by many that it's no big deal. I've noticed no loose fibers, around them, below them etc. Should i be concerned. I was going to start a thread about this awhile ago.

As I said, if you put them up and leave them alone, don't move them, don't bump into them and they're covered in cloth - no big deal. However, you may or may not convince a new mother of that. They don't always tend to be resonable when it comes to the new baby.

Bryan

Babies grow up to be curious toddlers. My toddlers have twice poked holes in various speakers I own. They'll certainly poke the nice soft panels on daddy's walls.

Back