Submaster/Tape Out vs Channel Direct Out

hasbeen

Kind of a poll here. I am told that going direct to your recording device out of your channel strip direct out plug is a cleaner signal path than using the submaster/tape out jacks. This would, of course be applicable to consoles that have both options. How do you people do it?

The default position for my A/D input jacks is from the direct outs unless I need to combine some chanels, then the sub-master.
Wayne

i use the Mackie 8 bus and i use the subs because i do multiple guitar tracks, so when mixing i only have to move 2 faders and i can adjust the overall sound with 2 instead of 8 (once you get each track level set). This goes for the drums as well. This also is good if you need to fade out some tracks while leaving others in, you can get a smoother fade because your only using 2 faders.

Copy that, but if you use the direct outs on your 8 bus to track and the tape ins on the board from your recording source for monitoring and mixing, you can still bus the channels in the mix, can't you?

i think so

im not 100% sure i know what you mean(still waking up), but yes i do use the 8 bus direct outs to my device .(mackie hdr24) And yes i use the tape inputs to moniter and mix. I have enough spare tracks that i can put guitar parts that need different sounds or levels on different tracks, so i rarely have to ride the faders (at least i try to keep it that way) then during misdown or bouncing i can ride the sub of all the guitars to get a good mix with the drums which are already mixed to 2 tracks at this point. I use compression and enhancers and stuff during mixdown, so being able to adjust single tracks and grouped tracks is necessary.

Ya. You can have the buss outs to 'tape' (or whatever:cool: and still have the buss internally routed to L/R buss for mix (or where ever. Maybe more convient, but just a little more wire in there.
Most of my 16 a/d jacks live in the d/o jacks except for a few extternal preamps. Two pair get to be effects returns back to the BoX, unless it's a balls to the wall 16 track mic-up.
I pretty much gave up on the Push a switch, Route-a-mic,, route. At one time it seemed to make sence.
:D :D
Also keeps dirt out of the holes.
:D

Last edited:
What I am saying, Adam, is, you can go to the top of the channel strip on your mackie and use the direct out jack to your recorder instead of the tape out jacks on the back, for a more direct signal path. Then, you have all of your tracks coming back from your hd24 into the tape ins on your board, enabling you to use the bussing features for mixing. That is my dilema, whether to go direct out (I am currently using the tape outs). I do like the idea of keeping the dirt out of the holes!!

One thing that might come up is that it's easier (for my head) to not have playback tracks on the same ch strip as a recording input. But that's a split-mixer setup vs inline thing.
Otherwise, why not send d/o, and skip the 'tape outs' (or buss outs). Either works?
The 8 buss' has gobs of routing options.:)

The mackie as an a/b flip switch so you can track and monitor on the same channel.

About the direct outs, though, that's what I am talking about...going direct out instead of using the tape outs.

oh i see, yes, i use direct outs to track, but on mixdown use use the main l/r outs, but i patch them through the sub outs so i can ride group faders, but im not going tape out, im going mains out to a finalizer. And yes on the Mackie i do go "inline" where my input tracks and recorded tracks are on the same channel strip, leaving me 24 tracks for recording. much easier.

Back