Sub-woofer Hookup

mugsy

I have a Crown CE-2000 which I use to power (2) JBL SR4718X cabinets. I've been running the Crown in "stereo" mode ( 2 in's 2 out's), which supplies 660w per channel @ 4-ohm. I was told that I should be running the Crown in "bridge-mono" mode in order to take advantage of the extra wattage (1950w @ 4-ohm). I know the following: From my Rane cross-over run (1) cable out to the Crown's channel #1 input. Set the Crown mode switch to "bridge-mono". Now, coming out of the channel #1 output, I have 1950w @ 4-ohm. My question is, How do I route my speakon cables? I know how to do this if I were to hard wire the two speakers myself, but can I do this using stock speakon cables? Do I have to change the Input Mode Connector settings on the JBL SR4718X?

I think the way you've been running it is the best way. I believe your subs are 4-ohm and are rated for about 600 watts... yes? Well, if you try to power them both with the amp bridged you'll be actually running a 2-ohm load... which your amp is NOT going to like... This amp can handle a 2-ohm load, but ONLY in stereo mode. Of course you could throw 1950watts at one of the cabinets... but it'll blow it up.
Whoever told you to bridge your amp, in your present situation, was wrong. Leave it the way it is.

Back