Sub Pops When Turned Off

albumleaf

See title for problem? I don't know if this is an issue, but my Event 20/20/15 sub emits a decently audible *pop* when it's turned off. Anyone with the same sub have the same experience? The thing works fine so I assume it's not that big of an issue... I would leave it on 24/7 but the rear heatsink gets ridiculously hot just like my TR-8's do.

Do you mean, when you turn 'em off, or they just pop by themselves when they are off? The former is normal, the latter is wierd.

The pop is probably caused by the amplifier itself shutting off and emitting a quick signal as it does so. Are you actually using the switch on the back of the sub to shut it off? Most switches are tied to a fairly fast relay that actually reduces the amp output so that does not happen (commonly referred to as ramping). This circuit usually activates itslef every time you hit the power switch, be it turning it on or off. If however you ahve it hooked to something like a power strip and are using that switch to turn it off, it would bypass that mechanism. In general it is not damaging to the sub itslef, but it is also not recommended either.

the pop happens on hitting the switch to turn it off. It may have to do with the way i have the inputs set right now. I'm actually going into the monitor send outputs because of my cable situation and not having my TR-8's right now. it's more of a click than anything.. i just hope it isn't a ridiculously high excursion of the driver making the pop though. i'll probably flip it over and see what's up just for peace of mind.

One of my Event 20/20's pops also when I turn it off, never seems to effect the sound at all. I haven't really worried about it and it doesn't seem to happen all the time.

Back