Sub busses (and A&H MixWizards...)

DropD

What are sub busses for? I'm asking that because I noticed the Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:0:2 console which cost the same price as a Mackie 1604, but gives me the superior quality and sound of a A&H, plus 2 effect processors, 2 sweepable mids, 6 aux busses, yada yada. The only thing lacking compared to the Mackie and higher-end A&Hs are the sub busses. But I just can't figure out what I would need those for...

I mean, for live monitoring and effect sends, the 6 aux are everything I need, 2 are pre fader, 2 are post, and the remaining 2 can be switch from pre to post. I see how they would be used for recording, but if there's a direct out on every channel, I don't really need them. If I need to group multiple channels on the same track, I can always use the aux busses right? (I only have 4 tracks of simultaneous recording on my sound card anyway). So, I guess I have everything I need with that mixer right? (ok it doesn't have the EQin/EQout of the GL serie, but it's also half the price!).

Also, anyone knows if a MixWizard will give me the same EQs, same pres, and same headroom characteristics of the GL serie?

Thanks!

Well, sub groups would give you the ability to assign multiple channels in stereo to two tracks of your choice. Also, for mixing, sometimes if you need to turn a whole bunch of stuff down at once, you can assign them all to two subgroups, like 1 and 2, keep you stereo imagining, and be able to turn down the whole group.

Aux sends will not quite give you all this flexibility.

Ed

Back