Styrofoam...eek Burlap? Noob

lukirocks

Hey Folks,

Currently i do all of my instrument tracking direct with my toneport UX2. Have a half stack that i really don't play that much becuase i dig the versatility of the line6 gearbox. I do need to start recording vocals this weekend though and i have a few questions about styrofoam.

I build exterior doors for a living, so i brought home about 10 pieces of 23" X 37" styrofoam pieces that are about 1.75" thick to use as some sort of room treatment for acoustic guitars with a mic and vocals.

I've read one post that styrofoam was a waste of time and money, but i have those 2 things covered, so i figured it might not hurt to try it. Would it be beneficial to build a small frame around the pieces and attach burlap to them?

I will be doing vocals in a seperate room away from my DAW so i don't pick up the computer noise and such. The room is about 6 X 8.

I found this picture from some thread....if i were to use styrofoam for my panels, should i sing "into" the panels or away from them....How far away from the wall should i place the mic? I use a cheap behringer condenser mic, but with a little EQ and reverb i've been pretty happy with the sound i suppose. I don't have much experience to know better though.

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

pic

Back