Stupid Question

Buffalo Bob

I'm trying to record a vocal track into HS2002, and although I have the channel input set for stereo, it's only recording on one side. What the heck am I doing wrong???

Bob

"One one side"? Why do you need it to be a stereo-track? Just record using input "Left" or something like that. :)

Bob - I have to agree with moskus. Why aren't you recording the vocal as a mono track? Usually the only time you would record a vocal as a stereo track is if you were using two different mics for some specific effect.

Nonetheless, I suspect the answer to your question is because the plug going into your sound card is probably a mono plug (or you are plugged into the "mic in" port, which is a mono port). Describe your signal chain (mic -> soundcard).

I should have been more clear. The chain is mic to VTB1 to Delta 44 into HS. I setup the input to stereo (delta input), but I am only recording signal on the left side of the track. Even a mono signal should appear on both L & R channels, right? And on playback, I only have the left side of the channel.
Thanks for the help.

BTW - Dachay - I didn't mention it in the MP3 Forum, but your rendition of "In My Room" a capella was fantastic! That's my favorite BB tune!

Bob

Buffalo Bob said:
Even a mono signal should appear on both L & R channels, right?
Only if you have configured the track as a mono-track or selected a mono recording source... Why don't you just select the input where the VTB1 is connected to? ;)

The VTB1 is going into a Delta 44 @+4 with a balanced cable. I have the HS input set for the Delta. I tried setting the input in HS to Left, Right and Stereo, and only get signal on the left side of the track.

Hmmm... very strange. You could config the track to be in mono, though. It's the last 'box' in in the tracks "options"...

Thanks, man. I'll try that. I know it's just some damned setting I have wrong! Routing was so much easier when it was just a plug to deal with!:D

Bob

Bob - are you feeding just one of the inputs of the Delta 44 from the VTB-1? To get a stereo signal from the Delta, you need to feed both sides of the stereo pair (e.g., inputs 1 and 2, or inputs 3 and 4). If you are only connecting to a single input, you will only get one side of the stereo signal (just as you described). Normally connecting to input 1 will give the left channel, while input 2 will give you the right channel, 3 will also be left, while 4 will be right.

And thanks for the nice comment about In My Room. You brought a smile to my face. :)

Thanks for responding! So, I should split the signal coming from the VTB1 and go into inputs 1 & 2 on the Delta? (the VTB1 only has one output). I could use a "Y" connector if that's the case.

BTW, I wish people were still into real singing like that on "In My Room". I grew up in South Jersey, and there were great do-wop singers everywhere, so I have a soft spot for it. My wife is a stickler for intonation, and she said that was killer in that song.

Thanks

Bob

Buffalo Bob said:
BTW - Dachay - I didn't mention it in the MP3 Forum, but your rendition of "In My Room" a capella was fantastic! That's my favorite BB tune!
How about a link so we can all enjoy? :) (I tried searching for it but couldn't find it)
Thanks,
-Jeff

Buffalo Bob said:
Thanks for responding! So, I should split the signal coming from the VTB1 and go into inputs 1 & 2 on the Delta? (the VTB1 only has one output). I could use a "Y" connector if that's the case.
Assuming the output signal from the VTB1 is stereo (or it has a stereo mode), then yes you can split the signal and send it into the 1 and 2 inputs on the Delta. Then from Sonar you would chose the Delta 1/2 Stereo as your input source.

I still go back to the original question though... why?

How about a link so we can all enjoy? (I tried searching for it but couldn't find it)
Day late and a dollar short. :) Waldo posted a thread in the Cave yesterday advising that he didn't want "covers" on NWR due to copyright issues, so I pulled it down. We actually do have a mechanical copyright license for that song, since it was on a CD we recorded; however, that license only covers sales of the CD (Brian Wilson gets $.08 for every copy of the CD we sell - trust me, he ain't getting rich on this :) ). Apparently you need a different license for "public performances," which Waldo claims that internet play falls under.

I'm not gonna complain about all the hands out. Since I hope someday, someone on this BBS gets to enjoy the fruits of these rules. Only so I can say, "I knew him when he only had 6 homerec posts to his name." :D

Last edited:
Excellent. Thanks for the link.

I'm going to get a balanced "Y" connector and split the signal from the VTB1. That should work.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Bob

Buffalo Bob said:
The VTB1 is going into a Delta 44 @+4 with a balanced cable.

...(the VTB1 only has one output).

It has only one output and it's balanced...
Then I assume it's not going to be stereo output... Am I correct ? So why would you route it to L & R ? I mean, you'll get exactly same signal to both L & R... Then why don't you just copy L paste to R ? No need for Y cable, Bob... :)

Very intriguing, James. If one were so-inclined, just how would one go about doing that?:D

I tried to copy the track, but it just copied the left side of the track.

If one were so-inclined, just how would one go about doing that?
Record it to one mono track and then bounce it to another (mono)track, (Edit > Bounce to track(s)) then panning one track left and another right in track view. As much or as little as you like:) :cool:
Or...
Clone track (right click on track > Clone track) and then pan the original and the clone as you wish;)
Or...
Bounce original mono track to a stereo track.
Have fun!

Back