stupid question on ADAT and SPDIF

blarg

I was hoping somebody could help me, but what's the difference between ADAT and SPDIF, and are the two compatible. Can an optical ADAT plug into an Optical SPDIF.

well, SPDIF and ADAT aren't cables/connectors. SPDIF is a digital format while ADAT is actually a digital tape format created by Alesis which later became known as it's own digital format. ADAT stands for Alesis Digital Audio Tape and S/PDIF is Sony/Phillips Digital Interconnect Format.

what you're asking about I'm assuming are what cables the two formats are sent down. The ADAT format uses a TOSLINK connector, connected to optical fibers originally created by Toshiba which is able to send 8 separate audio tracks down the cable. S/PDIF is a coax cable with RCA connectors that was adapted from AES/EBUs 2 channel, twisted pair, XLR connectors....but S/PDIF is still only able to send 2 channels.

The two formats can be used together as long as there is a converter inbetween them. M-Audio sells one I think.

Hope that helps.

The optical TOSLINK cable that carries S/PDIF and the ADAT optical cable are the same but that's where the similarity ends. You'd need a converter of some kind to get them to talk.

Back