stupid question (Is MIDI really the way)

Readytodothis

Anyone.. can probably answer these questions.
But... Does anyone believe that a composition done totally with midi and computers.. no outside processors.. or mixing hardware... (maybe a preamp for the mic). will sound realistic... and proffesional
Let me explain...
I think I originally had a misconception of what midi really is... I believe( I say believe because the engineers basically set up everything in the studio for me) in my past experience in studio settings.. I was using a midi chain of instruments.. sequenced in Elogic.. but ran through a mixing board directly from keyboards, and sound modules and then mixed and recorded...
I never that midi could be done played directly through computers...
So, upon my embark into trying to build my own studio... I believed that sound modules and multiple keyboards played a major factor.. Well, I've been reading all the info on DAW's and PC based home recording, because I thought that was what I was always doing.. Now it Seems that all of this talk about soundcards and Digital (WAV) and (MID) files... Was not the original direction that I had embarked upon..... You see, I originally planned on building my studio with the parts that I was familiar with..
#1 Track board --though I was used to 32tr.
I was planning on mackie420
#2 Good Microphone --- Akg am52 (i believe . was my choice
#3 Key's and sound modules --- this was where I thought all of my sounds from...
I only planned on getting alesis Q6.1 and Dmpro-- I figured that would do.. for now! It was getting expensive...

Then I begin my research.. Countless hours on the web. Which led me here as well as 100's of other web pages... Cutting and pasting.. Printing the info... 3 hrs of sleep.. Wake Up ..Read what I printed at work.. and then again

It seems to me that the MIDI Studios here are based on Soundcards... That is the last and final Synth.. and sound module.. A dmpro would be useless..because the sound would come from the soundcard.. Therefore If I get a delta1010 or Layla.. A roland or better midi card... Cakewalk or another seqencing program Midi Keyboard.. And sounds to upload into the sound card as patches..MY mic. And the CPU.. I can make Music to the quality of the "PROFESSIONAL Studio" That I am looking for... OR Will MIDI not sound as good.. DID I go in over my head? DO I even understand this S&%$@t... Oppinions PLEASE?

sorry for the Long message but I'm SLEEPY :eek:
Iplan on using celeron 500 128 megs fast big drives...
If it matters, because it seems to matter to some.. I will be doing Hip Hop and Reggae music.. But to music is music... And I don't confine nor define what I do...

Fishmed -- Thank You... well I'm thinking of going with 2 good souncards at this point.. Forget the modules and mixer... You don't seem to be against it....It will really help my budget...
I have about 3,000 to spend.. Not including the computer, but including 2 sound cards and a mic, sequencing program,keyboard, and monitor speakers.Unless you can suggest anything else I will need...

I want either a delta 10/10 or a layla.. at this point.. but I don't know what card to play the midi... I would by the Yamaha 1000xg if necc. But can I load in patches without buying their daughter boards.. Do you or anyone else know about the avm apex soundcard.. is it better than the Yamaha.. I've read a little on the net about it, but only old articles.. And I haven't seen it for sale on line, with other cards.... Basically I have 2 quest...
1.)Is there anything else I should try to work into my budget.. I can possibly expand it another 1,000 at the most.... making it 4,000 althogether... But if it isn't needed.. Forget it...
2.)If I get a Delta1010 or layla for vocals and any live instruments I may want to record.. What is the best card for playing the midi through.. I don't really want to get a Tb card or something else which may lack the quality I need especially If it will be in addition to the other expensive card, but If the Yamaha 1000 can load in patches.. I'm sold... If you or anyone else know please help me...

Thanks again... I think you helped me make up my mind...

[This message has been edited by Readytodothis (edited 03-23-2000).]

I hope I can help you here. First off the only way you can get a "Professional Studio" quality music is to have the same gear and experience that is used in such places. For the budget and experience of most of us here on this BBS, we are far from it. None the less, we are always trying to get as close as we can. Second, MIDI and audio are two aspects of recording. One is not necessarily better than the other, they are just different.

** MIDI is just electronic information that contains instructions for controlling electronic devices. These devices include keyboards, sound modules, effect processors, mixers, etc. MIDI in itself has no sound; therefore, to ask how good does MIDI sound is irrelevant. Keyboards and sound modules, on the other hand, do produce sounds, and the quality of sound they produce varies from device to device. The functions that can be preformed through MIDI also varies. MIDI controlled functions can be triggered by sequencers such as Cakewalk. Many MIDI systems in studios use PC or Macs to run their sequencers. Often PC systems will use the MIDI I/O on a basic sound card. Usually this will only allow them to use up to 16 channels. If you want more MIDI channels you will need to find an interface designed for multiple MIDI I/O.

** Audio is your basic recording of a sound source, and it reqires a storage medium like tape or disk. On computers, audio data requires much more hard drive space than MIDI data.

I am using both methods in my home studio. Some applications work better with one type over the other. I think it is up to the individual to discover what works best for his/her applications. :D

As far as MIDI goes, I would like to suggest the Midiman Biport 2X4. It has 2 ins and 4 outs and connects to one of your serial ports. It's price is just little over $100 USD. As far as audio recording, how many instruments do you plan to record at a time? Are you doing live drums?

Back