Stupid Question #1: Why More Than One Computer Monitor?

Same reason you'd do it at work... so you can run different things on different monitors... a DAW full of tracks is a lot of screen real estate, if you've got to shove your MIDI editor in the same window, then that cuts down the number of tracks you can see, etc. etc, etc....

When you start editing you'll rapidly see why.

The mixing process frequently involves you wanting to have access to several things at a time--for example, yesterday I was mixing a recording done by somebody else that had one master take of a female vocal plus two additional tracks with partial takes of the same vocal. I was using volume envelopes to fade between the three tracks to use the best portion at any given moment--and I had to be well zoomed in on each track to work accurately.

At the same time I needed a mixer window, a file window and sundry control buttons. To do this, I had the track waveform display on one monitor and the rest on my laptop's normal screen.

(and a small dog jumping into my lap trying to walk on the keyboard but that's another story....)

So, that's the long way of saying that multiple monitors are used simply to have multiple displays open at the same time--even if you're using just one piece of DAW software.

When you start editing you'll rapidly see why.

And multi-monitor goodness extends beyond audio. Great for video editing, photographic work-flow,... pretty much anything where you need to have a bunch of tools open and visible while working on a main window area.

Paul

It's just as good to get one large, high res monitor too. But for a single 30" screen, you could get two 24" screens. Which is why you see more multi monitors than single, huge ones. I'd love a triple screen [(2*24)+(1*30)] set up myself. But right now, I just have to put up with my single 19". Means moving stuff in and out of the way a lot. >.<

Just for fun, I once borrowed an HD video projector from work and did a bit of editing at home with a wall-size projection.

It was kinda fun--but a couple of smaller screens up close gives me better sight lines than the larger screen spread over a wide angle. I've not tried a 30 inch--that might be cool! However, I have a slight preference to two screens with the work split logically between them. Probably psychological (and possibly just me) but I feel more organised with my various displays and controls separated a bit.

Back