Stupid Newbie Question

JesusFreak

Sorry for the stupid question guys but I really just need an affirmation that I'm doing things correctly....I have a Presonas BlueTube mic-pre with a dbx 166XL comp/limiter/gate and then my D1600 recorder...connecting them all together should be just plugging mic into pre-amp...preamp to comp....and comp to recorder right??

Told you it was a stupid question....just wanting to make sure I'm doing things right...Thanks for your time guys and gals...

God Bless!

You are correct with your signal path. Only track with the compressor in the path if you really need it. Less is more.

Thanks for the reply Tex,

So are you saying that I should only add compression during the mixdown if it needs it??

Thanks again..

God Bless!

I think Tex is saying that if the compressor/gate is not actually being used during the tracking process, then patch it out, as the shorter the physical signal path the cleaner the signal.

pAp

Actually both of you are correct. Definately take it out if you aren't using it and don't use it unless you really need it. If you rsetup doesn't have the flexibility to use outboard compression while mixing then you might want to use it for tracking but be gentle with it since you can't reverse the compression (easily) later.

Thanks for the reply's you guys,

I'll mess around with it for a bit and try what you guys are saying. I'm bound to get it right sooner or later. I do appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

God Bless!

Hello Blue Bear,

I understand how me saying "God Bless" may not make any sense to you in this forum but it makes perfect sense to me. I say I understand because before I got saved I would have said the same thing :).

And the reason I say it makes sense to me is that this is a recording forum. We are recording music. My music of choice is that to lift up the name of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I realize that there are a 1000 different genera's of music out there and mine just happens to be Christian. I'm not preaching that you need to get saved in here because your right, this isn't a religious forum. But when you or someone say "Good Luck", or "Take care", you do that to wish someone well. When I say "God Bless", I am wishing those that just happen to read this thread, to be blessed by God.

Not wanting to serve God or recieve His blessings is a choice that unfortunately a lot of people make in their lives. But that doesn't mean that I don't want God to bless them in hopes that they may change their minds at some point in their lives. I know it happened to me.

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to preach...:)...it's just important to me to pray Gods blessings on everyone...I'm not saying I have the power to do it, but I'm still going to pray for that. If you choose not recieve them or Him, that's a choice that you have made. That doesn't mean that I don't like you or that I wouldn't pray for you either, it just means that is a choice you have made.

Sorry for rambling Blue Bear...I hope you understand why I say what I say...and I do hope that this doesn't prevent you from sharing your knowledge of recording with me..I know you have a lot to offer and even though you may not like my style of music, I still want to make the best recordings I can.

God Bless!

Personally, I find it annoying...

...as I'm sure any non-christian does.

The fact that you attach religion to your music is your own private affair -- why you feel you must inflict this belief/wish/whatever on others is beyond me..... it has NO PLACE in this kind of forum - period.

If you walk down the street do you make a habit of publicly "blessing" people you encounter?

It's no different here -- this is a public place - not a christian ministry.

Mr. Freak Please keep it to yourself. I'm sure lots of folks will still help you out but if you want to bring your religion into it, I for one will not. You're on your own or you can pray for help.

I either of you, or any others for that matter, wish not to help me because I'm "openly" a Christian, you of course are free to do that. I do my best to live scripturally by treating others as I would like to be treated.

And as far as bringing "Religion" into this forum, I don't see where I have done that. If you believe that me saying "God Bless" or that my name in here is "JesusFreak" is bringing religion in here, then, well I guess I'm guilty...but if you look at ALL of my previous post, besides this one, all are revolving around recording. I have never said "Repent you sinners"...or "Christian music is the only music and everything else is from the devil" or anything else to that effect. I respect other people as musicians and their choice of music is exactly that..their choice.

As I stated in the beginning, if either of you wish not to help me anymore because I say "God Bless" at the end of my posts, then I guess I won't be getting anymore of your help which is unfortunate because I know you both have a wealth of knowledge to offer. But I live under certain convictions...and the fact that I have heard from others "Thank you" or "God Bless you too" in response to me saying "God Bless", is enough for me to know that it has at least made a few peoples days a bit better.

God Bless!

I agree with BlueBear.

This is a secular community with a single purpose and your insistance on advertizing your religous orientation annoys me.

You can defend your salutation as nothing more than an expression of joy and love but your arguement just doesn't hold up. Everyone on this board has very strong feelings about different issues but they usually respect others peoples neutrality and take those kinds of discussions to the cave.

Nothing I can say is going to stop you from continuing your behavior. I've been exposed to fundamentalists all my life and have come to understand that their constant use of religious jargon in public has very little to do with true spiurituality and everything to do with proselytizing.

Anyone remember Duffy Strode?

Eat Less Meat!

The funny thing I find about this is that this thread was started by me about my signal chain...wanting to make sure that I was hooking up my gear correctly...just like every other post that I had ever done in this forum...about GEAR...nothing more...nothing less.

If anyone wanted to help me with my question...great...I certainly do need the help...if the fact that I put "God Bless" at the end of my post offends you...then you don't have to help me....it certainly wont' offend me if you don't want to help me....as I'm sure that you won't be alone in not helping me...

For those that either enjoy the fact that someone is asking God to Bless you or to those that could care less and just want to deal with gear and recording and music...I look forward to sharing information on how to make our recordings better...I don't know much..but as I learn I would be more than happy to share what I do know...

God Bless!

This is the last comment I'll make on this...

...because this shouldn't become a "cause" in its own right...

The fact is, you didn't "simply post about gear"... you made it a point to include extraneous religious comments which serve no purpose nor have anything to do with this site or web community save to identify/advertise your religious affiliation, and THAT'S what I (and others here, as I can see) are objecting to.

This is NOT your "God's" house --- you should respect the neutrality of the environment............

That's all I have to say on this matter.............

Hmmm. I'm a big, fat, dirty atheist. I, for one, don't care if someone writes two words at the end of their post that indicates one way or another what they do or do not believe.

Why don't you just tell him he can't post anything? His screen name gives away his beliefs!!! Just the name JesusFreak says a lot, don't you think? Give the guy a break! I haven't seen him say anything like "You must believe what I believe!"

Or christians could also argue that S8-N not be allowed to post anything, due to the fact that we know his beliefs merely based on his moniker? Oh, wait, some people did feel that way.:eek:

But really, if you are bothered by the guy putting 'god bless' at the end of his posts, you should consider trying some new relaxation techniques. For me, life is too short to be bothered by shit like that. People are free to believe whatever the hell they want, and they are also free to express that - even if it has nothing to do with the scheme of things, as it were. Belief systems have nothing to do with driving on the freeway, but I see bumper stickers proclaiming beliefs all the time. Last I checked, they were not getting pulled over and questioned by the police about why they were letting their beliefs be known to other drivers when it has nothing to do with negotiating traffic.

There is no god, the earth is round and country music sucks,

Brad

Hey Blue Bear,

I have to admit having a tolerance for that kind of stuff is essential. There are weirdos here. I'm surprised Bible thumpers bother you so much. I personally am far more agitated by the rampant abuse the English language takes here. You'd think half these people never got through grade eight.

BTW, you probably don't ever want to go to Austria. There, EVERYONE's common salution translates to "Greet God." They don't give a shit what beliefs you or anybody else hold.

stonepiano

"I remember christmas morning, back in 1954..."

Back