Stupid computer question time

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
I have read on hear in the past where it's better to have a dedicated DAW as opposed to using the same computer for everything. To that end, I used my old computer as a dedicated DAW. It's old and only 1.6ghz processor and 1gb ram. M Audio 2496 card which is enough as I only record myself.

My question is, would it be OK to use my new(ish) computer that I use for everything else as a DAW? It's a dual core 3.3ghz processor with 4Gb ram. I can just move the M Audio card over and re-setup everything to find out but, that is rather a PITA and thought I would ask first.

Thanks for the answers.

Newer computers don't need to be a dedicated computer anymore. Your newer one should perform much better than your older.

I have read on hear in the past where it's better to have a dedicated DAW as opposed to using the same computer for everything. To that end, I used my old computer as a dedicated DAW. It's old and only 1.6ghz processor and 1gb ram. M Audio 2496 card which is enough as I only record myself.

My question is, would it be OK to use my new(ish) computer that I use for everything else as a DAW? It's a dual core 3.3ghz processor with 4Gb ram. I can just move the M Audio card over and re-setup everything to find out but, that is rather a PITA and thought I would ask first.

Thanks for the answers.

Regardless of the dedicated/multi-use issue, I'd switch over to the newer computer simply for no other reason than the increased power. 8 GB of ram would be nice if you could do it! 4 is a good start but if you take on any big projects you might find it struggling a bit. Like Crows said, newer computers don't have to be dedicated to any single task. They are powerful enough to do all sorts of stuff on.

dedicated daws were necessary back when we had sub-1ghz computers that had to be tweaked to death just to run a few tracks.

(I started out on a 450mhz PentiumII)

you dont have to do a lot of that stuff anymore, but the old outdated info still sits out there on the web.

Computers don't need the same special treatment these days, but there's still a limit.

Don't quarantine it, but don't let the kids run loose on it either. ;)

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's unanimous. Ditch the dedicated DAW and I'll be fine. What I have is your typical small bedroom recording setup and space is at a premium. This will help out alot.

Thanks again :thumbs up:

Back