stunted growth

aprilchangedme

Hey everybody. I feel like the songs i try to record are ok starting points, but i dont think they ever really break through. Anybody with a will to help please Give a listen to my sounds at http://seanpatrickmiller.iuma.com i think i may just need this time now recording to realize possibilities and learn, and thati am on my way, but am unhappy with the "success" of my efforts thus far. Does anyone think there is some untapped potential in these drafts, or do you think i really need to go back to the drawing board? thanks alot -sean

aprilchangedme,

I listened to "Death of an Insect", "It quit Itself" and "Don't be silly" in that order.

Death of an Insect: Moody, Solemn and sincerely strange soundscape. I liked the moaning horn. Kafka Rock with a dash of velvet. (Underground not revolution) The pace is interesting and at times a little ahead or behind itself. Your voice, which you seem to be comfortable experimenting with, plays nicely with the other elements. The words drop in now and again to conjure an image.

It quit Itself: Pretty raw but it holds itself together. Reminded me of an anthem after a three martini lunch. No shortage of ideas here.

Don't be silly: Intense beginning and build. The apology is playful and twisted with the vocal shenanigans you tag onto the end. I agree with TripleM who said it sounded like 4 or 5 songs at once. This layering may just be a personality trait of your burgeoning style.

Is it 100 percent coherent? No but I think it is loaded with potential and that you should keep following your nose and allowing yourself to experiment.

Good Luck -b

Good to see you on the board again!

Aprilchangedme,

Great name by the way.
When are we gonna jam man? York-Waynesboro. Did you get anywhere with wanting to play out?

Anyway, about the songs: I've listened to most of them and I like them. It quit itself :at 4 min or so, really starts to get you goin. I dig it.
The others(I'll have to listen again to get specific on names)were good, but I would like to hear your voice a little more. I like the sound though. Maybe if I knew the lyrics, it'd help. You should post 'em.
We really should jam some time.
Good job.
I'm gonna listen some more and try to be more constructive.
-okobd

thanks so much for your input. im sure everyone knows how easy it can be to get discouraged about what your doing, and some reassurance or even opinion can really help put things into perspective. okobd, id love to jam sometime, just say the word. i am usually in philly on the weekends, though.

Back