Stuffing fluff

eraos

Local Spiderman
Mr. Winer, and anyone else who could answer, you said in your article, when talking about basstraps
You can optionally pack the entire cavity with fluffy fiberglass one foot thick and you'll probably get similar results.

In my basement, I have the unfinished ceiling with the support boards exposed, which you were referring to with that statement.

Would just putting fluffy fiberglass in the beams be enough, or would I have to build other basstraps within the room?

And if I did stuff the cavities, I wouldn't be able to hold it up with drywall, right? I'd have to find some non-concealing way to hold it up?

eraos said:
Would just putting fluffy fiberglass in the beams be enough, or would I have to build other basstraps within the room?

If you did the whole ceiling that way, it would probably suffice. How thick would it be?

eraos said:
And if I did stuff the cavities, I wouldn't be able to hold it up with drywall, right? I'd have to find some non-concealing way to hold it up?

Correct. You could try a loose woven fabric. Be careful of applicable fire codes.

apl said:
If you did the whole ceiling that way, it would probably suffice. How thick would it be?

Correct. You could try a loose woven fabric. Be careful of applicable fire codes.

The cavity is about 9" though I'm not sure how thick the fiberglass could be if I stuffed it up there.

eraos said:
The cavity is about 9" though I'm not sure how thick the fiberglass could be if I stuffed it up there.

That would probably do nicely. The room would have way plenty of absorption. You'll need to do something to break up reflections between the walls, to make things more diffuse.

Would the papery side of the pink stuff face down towards the floor of the basement or up towards the above floor?

eraos said:
Would the papery side of the pink stuff face down towards the floor of the basement or up towards the above floor?

Get 6" without backing and put in two thicknesses.

eraos,

> Would just putting fluffy fiberglass in the beams be enough, or would I have to build other basstraps within the room? <

apl already gave you plenty of great advice. (Thanks, man!) I'll just add that you can never have too much bass trapping. If it were my room I'd stuff the entire ceiling and put bass traps in all of the wall-wall corners.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
apl already gave you plenty of great advice. (Thanks, man!) I'll just add that you can never have too much bass trapping. If it were my room I'd stuff the entire ceiling and put bass traps in all of the wall-wall corners.

--Ethan

Thanks for the reply (and yes, thank you very much apl).

Since you've said that mineral wool as the same acoustical properties as rigid fiberglass, I can afford more panels now. So I do plan on doing as much of the ceiling as I can afford in conjunction with all the panels I'll be placing around the rooms.

I think I'm going to order the mineral wool panels from insulationworld.com. I'm figuring six 4" panels and sixteen 1.5" panels.

1.5" thick panels would be enough for the upper frequencies, yes? Half of the walls will be concrete.

This is a basic drawing of the layout of my rooms. (The rooms I will be using once I move into the space.)

http://www.freewebs.com/eraos/pictures/newstudio1.JPG

Can anyone offer and suggestions or anything?

Back