Studiomaster

brich2929

www.livingwaters.com
I have a question about a mixer I've had for awhile but have never really used for anything. Its a Studiomaster 16-8-2. Does anyone have any opinions as to the quality/etc of this mixer in today's world of homerecording? I'd like to get back into tinkering with recording. I currently have a Tascam 424 MkIII cassette recorder and an Adat XT20, but I may want to go digital with Reaper or something soon. Should I keep the Studiomaster (and if I do, how would I interface it with a DAW- that is, getting the sounds and all into the computer)? I do also have a bit of Outboard gear (reverbs, compressors, preamps), etc. from all my days of disposable cash and gearlust that I may want to use as well.

Anybody? Bueller?? Bueller??

I have a question about a mixer I've had for awhile but have never really used for anything. Its a Studiomaster 16-8-2. Does anyone have any opinions as to the quality/etc of this mixer in today's world of homerecording? I'd like to get back into tinkering with recording. I currently have a Tascam 424 MkIII cassette recorder and an Adat XT20, but I may want to go digital with Reaper or something soon. Should I keep the Studiomaster (and if I do, how would I interface it with a DAW- that is, getting the sounds and all into the computer)? I do also have a bit of Outboard gear (reverbs, compressors, preamps), etc. from all my days of disposable cash and gearlust that I may want to use as well.

How about taking eight analog sends from the mix buss and recording those? You have a choice of I/O that way and are not limited to stereo mixing at the outset. Something like a presonus firewire interface could work well. Click on the pic.

the studiomaster line was a mid-level brand of good quality... i still have a little 8x4 mixer around here that i used for a keyboard rig... i'ld be worried about the age of the thing myself.... it will need to be recapped in all likelyhood... and the pots they used dont like some types of cleaners...

the studiomaster line was a mid-level brand of good quality... i still have a little 8x4 mixer around here that i used for a keyboard rig... i'ld be worried about the age of the thing myself.... it will need to be recapped in all likelyhood... and the pots they used dont like some types of cleaners...

But it is basically a pretty nice unit as designs go. Certainly worth using if it is in good shape.

my wife's uncle bought a studiomaster 16x16x4 console from a local music shop for $75 about a year ago. i checked it out for him and seems to be fairly well-built, even though it has a really weird power supply, and most of the pots are REALLY sticky...a couple of them to the point that they literally won't turn at all.

sound-wise, i have no idea. i've been meaning to actually record something through it, but just haven't gotten the opportunity yet.

Back