Studiomaster 8-4-8R

Ziller

I'm searching for a mixing console, so I picked up this Studiomaster 8-4-8R mixer yesterday for a 2 week evaluation. It has 8 pre amp inputs, true 4 bus and 8 tape returns. Direct outs and inserts. Sweepable mids. Talkback. I really like the way it is setup. The problem is, every pot seems scratchy, sometimes things cut in and out, etc. Everything seems to work, but it needs some definite cleaning.

My questions are 1) has anyone used one of these before? and 2) how much work is it to clean it?

I have a very limited budget. The price seemed right, as it was the same price as a new Behringer 2004. I would much rather have this (if it was clean) then the Behringer but. of course, it's gotta sound clean.

Thanks for any info on this board, Studiomasters, and cleaning in general.

Ziller

I run a StudioMaster 16 8 16 and like it a lot (sorry, no experience with the particular model you mentioned). I've had to clean the pots on mine before and it's not too bad a job, just a hassle. I gaarontee the StudioMaster will be light years beyond any Behrenger.

Well...

I decided to give cleaning it a try. I had to actually pull out the channel strip circuit board to get to the pots, but that was easy enough. That made all the difference. Channel 1 is now scratch free and sounds great! It will take some time, but I think it will be worth it. I expect to get the manual soon and this will probably be a keeper. I'll be using it with my Tascam TSR 8, so as long as I can monitor all 8 tracks without using the 8 channel strips (use them for input), I should be ok. It's got 4 Aux sends to, which is nice. The more I use it, the more I like it!

Back