Studio Wiring - Running Cables (Power, XLR, USB, etc) Need Advce

MoBettaBlues

I need to run my cables better to minimize noise in my signal path but I don't know where to start. It seems like whenever I start routing cables and velcroing them to keep the XLR away from power cords/strips, etc I always end up with a mess.

Can someone offer me some sound advice on how to go about claning this mess up please?

IMAG0996.jpgIMAG0994.jpgIMAG0993.jpgIMAG0995.jpg

Last edited:
I've actually seen some pretty nifty cable organizers made out of simple shoe boxes. Get a shoebox, or any other box, cut open some slots for the cables, and add some walls inside with cardboard to separate audio cables from power cables, etc. Fold the excess in the box and tie them up however you need to.

I will say that the best advice I can give on cable organizing is to only use the exact lengths you need...no more, no less. I also hide some of my cable junk behind my bass trap that is straddling the floor/wall corner behind my desk. Works out pretty well!

If your grounding and screening arrangement is up to scratch, you shouldn't need to worry too much about running signal cables next to power cables. If you are having noise problems, I would check the grounding on the noisy gear first.

James.

If your grounding and screening arrangement is up to scratch, you shouldn't need to worry too much about running signal cables next to power cables. If you are having noise problems, I would check the grounding on the noisy gear first.

James.

I agree...though as a best-practice, it's not a bad idea to keep them a couple of feet apart and not run them real close & parallel for long lengths. If they just cross each other at some points...ain't no big deal.

In my own rig, the my console and gear racks follow the walls so I have a channel along two walls that is made from a vinyl roof gutter and screwed to the wall. It is about 2 feet off the ground. In the gutter are all my audio lines. Below the gutter and also following the wall perimeter are all my power lines.
When you stand in my studio...you see no cables anywhere, and I have quite a lot of gear interconnected, but it's all behind the console and racks....which also happen to be on wheels, so I can easily pull them out if I need to get access to anything in the back.

Back