Studio Wiring between rooms

scuppari

This is my first crack at building a home studio in my basement so I have several Q's about wiring a studio (two rooms)...

1. How do I run (and connect) mics from the sound room to the Digi001 in the control room? Is there such a thing as mic "outlets"?
2. I'm floating the floor in both rooms- should I place AC outlets in the walls and run audio wiring in the floor?
3. There will be a glass partition between the rooms - what is the best way to communicate between rooms? Mic/Speakers? Wireless audio system?

Please help. Thanks.

It's advisable to keep the AC and audio wiring apart either in separate runs or in separate ducts if next to each other.

You might consider running a cooax guitar lead terminated in a standard guitar input plug as well so you can have an amp in one room and the guitarist in another. Often guitarists like to be in the control room where they can play to the recording sound on the monitors whilst their amp is in the studio.

These days most communication happens with headphones. You can have studio monitors if you like (most consoles have a separate studio monitor feed which incorporates the talkback system) otherwise rely on Headphones.

cheers
John

Thanks for the tip on wall plates... I was starting to consider using a stage snake, but that would look shitty.

How many connections do I need to wire if I plan to connect to a DIGI001? Do I need XLR or 1/4" (or both)?

I believe the Digi001 handles both quarter and xlr in each port..the 1/4 in the middle of the xlr...

it depends on if u wanna use all the inputs of the digi or not..

Balanced Leads

Hi, i know this may be an old post, but those that want an answer on using 1/4" trs or XLR (or both) is always XLR for permanent (i.e using a multicore between your studio and control room).
Balanced XLR will give you much cleaner tracks with less interferance than TRS, as TRS is unbalanced. Im not going to explain the differenct here, if you want to know how it works google it.

And dont bother running a 1/4" for the guitarist, as you can get relatively cheap adaptors that will turn a 1/4" to a XLR then back again so you can utilise your existing mulitcore.

Oh and never use coax for audio. It is a video cable, not audio. There are audio cables for audio (like microphone lead ;)

Hi, i know this may be an old post, but those that want an answer on using 1/4" trs or XLR (or both) is always XLR for permanent (i.e using a multicore between your studio and control room).
Balanced XLR will give you much cleaner tracks with less interferance than TRS, as TRS is unbalanced. Im not going to explain the differenct here, if you want to know how it works google it.

And dont bother running a 1/4" for the guitarist, as you can get relatively cheap adaptors that will turn a 1/4" to a XLR then back again so you can utilise your existing mulitcore.

Oh and never use coax for audio. It is a video cable, not audio. There are audio cables for audio (like microphone lead ;)

that's not really correct

Back