Studio Treatment help

itsme1234

anyone have any recommendations on how and where to treat this room.

any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Screenshot2011-03-05at43040PM.png

Room Size - 13.5 x 13.5 (hexagonal shape. I did not subtract the angles, eshk)
Corner Closet - 2.5' x 4.5'
Windows - 6' 2.5'
Ceiling - 9'

I probably should have gave the speaker measurements and specs in there as well

also...the windows have been sealed off with foam and sheet rock with a curtain over top to block outside traffic and dogs. uggg

I am using Yamaha HS80Ms on a studio RTA desk with Auralex MOPADs utilizing the 8 degree downward angle wedges to position the speakers more towards my ear.

The measurements of the speakers are:

38" apart from each inside bottom corner of the speakers
46" apart from the back inside corners of the speakers (to give ya the sense of angle towards my listening position)

41 high (measured from floor to the bottom of the front of the speakers)

55" away from the left and right wall to the front corner of each speakers

18" away from the back way to the bottom outside corners of each speakers

here is a picture of the set up as well...

photo.jpg

anything needed let me know. THanks !

A cloud directly overhead. Bass traps on the wall behind the speakers and all four corners. Broadband absorbers on the first reflection points. That will be a good start and relatively inexpensive.

lou

thank you lou. Ive actually did a lot of research and the set up you describe seem to be mostly what ive found. the only thing i am scratching my head over and havent seemed to find someone with similar dimensions is what to do with the bass traps behind my speakers.

most other studios ive seen have the bass traps placed in 90 degree corners that are behind their speakers.

the corners angles behind my speakers are about 150 degrees. I havent even see any bass traps constructed at that angle.

what would I do in a situation like this? and also...which corner would get the bass traps? the corner at the top of the drawing or the ones in the center?

Thanks for you reply!

and mr tom...its a studio RTA desk. I think its the best desk ive ever owned.
not nearly as expensive as real studio desks, and i love the options it provides, not to mention the durability and look of it.

i got mine from musicians friend. took me a couple hours to build on my own, but wasnt bad at all.

Just make typical 2x4x4" traps and hang one over each window and one or two centered on the middle part of the wall. Maybe skip the front corners for now as they are not dead square and will cause fewer problems.

I think that the key here is that something is better than nothing and you can't really overdo it so don't worry about it. Small rooms are never gonna be perfect but any improvements will help you hear your mixes better and they will translate to other systems and spaces much better. Over time you will naturally learn to compensate for any issues that remain. Tame the big stuff and don't sweat the small stuff.

lou

Back