studio tiles

Jimmy2002

Hey i Found these on ebay i just wonderd if any one could tell me if they would help to prevent sound from travling though a basement celling im not botherd about stoping the sound compleatly just dampening it a bit, will these do the job or are they only good for acoustic treatment
many thanks JIMMY

RECORDING STUDIO TILES
BOUNCE THE SOUND OF YOUR MUSIC AROUND THE ROOM WITH SOUND PROOF TILES
APPROX 240mm x 240mm x 20mm
64 IN A PACK
Starting bid of £25 is for each pack of 64 ( thats less than 40 pence each )

Attachments

• 84_1_b.jpg
    84_1_b.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 121
That looks like regular old bedding foam. Who says it's for recording? It looks real open and crappy and doesn't look like it would help a bit. One thing to think about is, is it flamable? If so, stay far... far away from it. Remember that night club with White Snake? Yeah, they used the wrong kind of foam.

The fact that the person putting the auction on says they're "sound proof foam files" leads me to believe they're trying to pull one over on you. There's no such thing as sound proof foam. Unless it's 100 feet thick... :D

Go to www.auralex.com and read up on what good foam is all about. There are cheaper alternatives than Auralex, but they've got some really good descriptions of how foam works and what to look for. And if you haven't yet, read www.acoustics101.com.

I'd agree. When I saw 'sound proof foam' the warning lights went off. Also, for the price, there's no way it can be of much value for anything but high frequency absorbtion. You need a more balanced approach. Either look into Auralex if you want foam or rigid fiberglass/acoustical cotton if you want something more effective and can DIY covering/framing for it.

Tahnks for the warning guys, dose any one know a good company were i can get rigid fiberglass/acoustical cotton from or somthing like rigid fiberglass/acoustical cotton from im from the uk so uk based would be best
many thanks jimmy

Are you trying to stop sound from travelling through the basement travelling upstairs? Or make it sound better in the basement?

In the UK, you might be better off looking for rockwool. Seems to be much more available there than cotton or fiberglass. You could have it shipped from the US but the cost would be pretty high. I've checked for a few of my customers and it's pretty pricey to get it there - even by slow boat.

Whoah!!! Then foam was definitely the wrong place to look! :D

Describe your room as it is right now.

We can help you figure out a way to limit the amount of sound that goes upstairs. But don't get faulse expectations, you'll probably never completely STOP sound from escaping.

If you describe what your room is like right now we can make some recommendations. But if you thought it was going to be as easy as putting up foam, you're probably not going to like our suggestions. It takes quite a bit of work to do even semi correctly.

yer im looking to stop sound travling upstairs through the celling
If you're looking for a solution to this, you need to tell people here what is existing. EVERYTHING. Materials, and construction type of floor, walls, ceiling, floor above, ducting, pipes, fireplaces, stairs and anything else that has to do with the structure that encloses this space. Its not just the ceiling that can cause transmission. If you play drums directly on even a concrete floor, structural transmission can occur right on up the walls to the room above under the right circumstances. Flanking paths, air leaks, hollow core doors, common HVAC ducts, and many other things can negate time and money spent on isolating this space with out addressing them. This stuff is NOT intuitive. I guarantee it.

Btw, sound transmission LOSS is relative. The RATING of loss is whats
important. What is adequet to stop the sound of acoustic guitar from transmitting to an adjacent room is not the same thing as trying to stop the sound of a bass amp or drums at full volume. Preventing low frequency and impact noise transmission requires a much more robust solution. Thats why we also need to know the particulars of what you are recording, and where you are willing to comppromise. Stopping the sound of drums at 2:00 in the morning directly below a VERY angry mother in law or wife will take MUCH MORE thinking, planning, budget, skills and tools, than your run of the mill home studio. I guarantee that too. :D
fitZ

Good answer Rick.

To answer you response to my question, then no, ANY foam or ANY insulation will not stop sound from going upstairs.

i am aware that i wont be able to stop the sound compleatly i just want to stop as much as possible

i have added a diagram and some pics hope it helps.
the celling is wooden beams.

Attachments

• studio.JPG
    studio.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CELLING.jpg
    CELLING.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 15
  • CELLING2.jpg
    CELLING2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
  • WALL.jpg
    WALL.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 13
Jimmy2002 said:
i am aware that i wont be able to stop the sound compleatly i just want to stop as much as possible

i have added a diagram and some pics hope it helps.
the celling is wooden beams.
Most al of what any foam or insulation will do is effect the how the room sounds inside. A small side benefit is it will absorb a small percentage of vibrations passing through the ceiling, so this will quiet it down some but I'm sure not what your looking for.

You need mass to do this. Drywall/sheetrock to be more specific.

There's no silver bullet man. Every situation is different. You need to have an understanding of what actually stops sounds, then you can apply those theories to buildling walls and a ceiling that will stop the sound in your house. What I did in my house might not work in yours.

Here are two basic priciples.
1) Mass stops sound
2) Dead air stops sound

Make the walls and ceiling as dense as possible without making them too crazy thick. Seal all seams. If you've got a door, it needs to seal when it closes. Even a stock hollow core door from the hardware store will do a decent job of stopping sound if it's sealed all around. Learn and apply some simple theories. It's not rocket science when you get into it.

And how much is "as much as possible" 35db at 125 hz? 110 db at 20 hz? Thats the point. If you don't know how much that is and at what frequency, how the hell are we to know?
We could tell you how to build a rated assembly for 63 db at 50 hz, but if you are recording bands at 110 db......whats the point? :confused:

any one with any other ideas
other ideas? :rolleyes: Unless they have a new set of Physics to use, I don't think you understand. You've already been told what it takes. But you refuse to listen to reality.
There are NO magic formulas or products or techniques. Plain and simple, either guess and fail, or use tested and known assemblies, techniques and materials and succeed. But how are you going to do that if you don't tell us what I asked for. Information is key here, so either do it, or go ask someone else for a magic formula.

1) Mass stops sound
er.....I think you need to study a bit. Like I said, its relevant. A MASS- AIR-MASS two leaf assembly with a Transmission loss of 35 at 100hz will NOT stop a 55db sound at 30 hz. Low frequency sound is exactly where people go wrong on isolation construction.
And you have to apply it to ALL facets of the studio. That is if you want real isolation. Whats the point of building ANYTHING if you have an HVAC duct that is common to both upstairs and downstairs and don't seperate them.

Look at it this way. If you construct an isolated room with walls and ceiling that have a transmission loss of 45db at 50 hz, but didn't address your floor that has a resonant coincidence frequency that allows transmission to occur at 35db same frequency, you've just wasted all your time and money. Of course, no one here knows what your isolation target is ...besides "as much as possible" ...which in reality tells us absolutely NOTHING. WHAT are you trying to isolate????? Jet planes, crying babies, trucks, acoustic guitars, flutes, guns?? Maybe I'm missing something here.
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
er.....I think you need to study a bit.

Yes thank you for telling me a bunch of information I already know. I like reading that stuff again when someone feels like excersizing their brain a little bit.

Look, most people aren't building pro studios in their basement. I mean, the guy was going to put foam on the walls thinking that was going to stop his sound. If he used a few common sense techniques he could stop a large amount of the annoying drum frequencies that get upstairs.

If you want to tell me I'm wrong with my building and tell me I've wasted my time, come here and tell my wife that. Before I closed up my ceiling she couldn't even watch TV upstairs if I was drumming. Now should can hardly hear it.

Do the best with the space and money you've got. But definitely know what stops what frequencies so you can have some kind of confidence that in the end you'll have good sound blockage.

Yes thank you for telling me a bunch of information I already know. I like reading that stuff again when someone feels like excersizing their brain a little bit.
I meant no critique. I only meant to clarify. If you took it wrong, I'm sorry.

If he used a few common sense techniques he could stop a large amount of the annoying drum frequencies that get upstairs.
Sometimes common sense has no bearing on High SPL isolation. At least "intuitive" sense. Its very obvious here as so many people address isolation as "soundproofing". And not knowing exactly what he is recording, I was only trying to show that one level of transmission loss may not cut it for another, or in otherwords, one mans interpretation of soundproofing may not be equal to the reality of what he needs to succeed. I don't know about you, but I hate to waste time and money.

If you want to tell me I'm wrong with my building and tell me I've wasted my time,
That was not my intent. Only to clarify some things for the author of this thread. However, exactly WHAT did you tell him that is relevant. Thats the point. You didn't. Throw up another layer of mass equal to what exists and at best, you get a 6db improvement if all else is equal. Hardly worth the effort if your source is 110 db, now is it? :rolleyes: Thats what I was refering to.
Do the best with the space and money you've got.
I agree whole heartedly. Compromise is usually the name of the game with most home
recording enthusiasts. Myself included. However, I wanted him to know that no one can truly help him untill they know what he's dealing with. How could you define the assembly type and improvements if you don't even know what he is trying to isolate and what exists.
But just for the sake of keeping it cool here, I apologize if I sounded condensending. Old fart syndrome. And to make sure you understand, here is my disclaimer. I'm no expert, and if anything I said is contrary to what the REAL experts know, I'll be the first to eat my words. Ok, there. :D
fitZ

Back