studio table/desk

tikka308

I'm looking for a table (or perhaps a desk) to set perpedicular to my actual studio desk. My biggest constraint is that is CANNOT be longer than 44" (due to wall&bed). I would prefer it to be ~25" high and 20" deep.

So many things are 48" long, which has made it tough. Short of making something (tough to do in NYC), I've thought about buying two rack-style cabinets and putting them next to me - although it would be overkill.

I'm really interested in the table-surface (for monitor, maybe control surface, to set my preamp on, etc). I'm currently indifferent to whether the area below the table is shelves, rack, open space, etc.

Anybody have any thoughts?

DIY? If you got tools and can use them. Less dough in the long run, and fits your needs. Why is hard build something in NYC? Apartment with no place to work? You goot a have at least one friend with a garage.
T

Cut a door to the size you need & lay on file cabnets.

I have seen a door laying on 2 standard file cabnets. Works fine, and looks OK too. Less cost too.
choc

tikka308 said:
I'm looking for a table (or perhaps a desk) to set perpedicular to my actual studio desk. My biggest constraint is that is CANNOT be longer than 44" (due to wall&bed). I would prefer it to be ~25" high and 20" deep.

So many things are 48" long, which has made it tough. Short of making something (tough to do in NYC), I've thought about buying two rack-style cabinets and putting them next to me - although it would be overkill.

I'm really interested in the table-surface (for monitor, maybe control surface, to set my preamp on, etc). I'm currently indifferent to whether the area below the table is shelves, rack, open space, etc.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Everything is 48" long because that ends up being a good yield from a 4'x8' board. Manufacturers want to maximize material yields and minimize scrap. You will not find a desk 25" high because most furniture makers make their desktops 28"-29" high which is better ergonomically (appropriate height for computer keyboard and tall enough to fit your legs underneath). Exceptions would be product from Omnirax or StudioRTA which is specifically designed for the musician in mind. Still, their desktop heights are 26".

I hate to say it, but DIY is probably your best bet.

choctaw said:
I have seen a door laying on 2 standard file cabnets. Works fine, and looks OK too. Less cost too.
choc

Most indoor doors have a hollow core construction with a wood frame - cutting those to size would be a bad idea. You would need to spend more on a solid wood door if you want to go that route.

brzilian said:
Most indoor doors have a hollow core construction with a wood frame - cutting those to size would be a bad idea. You would need to spend more on a solid wood door if you want to go that route.

Go to a salvage place and get a used door. Solid and cut it to size. You could use a hollow core at about the width you need........then cut the end off and insert a filler in that end from the part you remove. Doors come 20 some in wide for small double systems.

choc

Or you could just get a nice solid piece of wood rather than a door... I don't know why Door was suggested in the first place. Tables are usually made out of normal lumber yard wood, not a pre-cut door for an entirely different use, am I wrong?

Ben

My family's computer desk used to be a door and two file cabinets. I'm not sure how we ended up with it, my guess is that it was made for someone and was the wrong size, so it was sold cheap at an outlet.

It's just another choice not GOD speaking here.

emergencyexit said:
Or you could just get a nice solid piece of wood rather than a door... I don't know why Door was suggested in the first place. Tables are usually made out of normal lumber

NO your not wrong, there is not right and wrong...but Hey I just said a door could be an option. Solid wood can be expensive, thus a door might be an answer. I have seen people make a frame and cover it with welded wire.........which would support weight too. There are lots of choices........thats what life is about........in relation to what you can afford and personal taste.

Choc

I don't know why Door was suggested in the first place. Tables are usually made out of normal lumber
Because its a brilliant lesson in logic.
1.Light weight honecome construction in a hollow core doors allow spans the length the door with NO deflection, even when heavily loaded and only supported from the ends. Since this is honeycome construction, it allows CANTILEVERING in width and length.(Hollowcore is a misnomer, although be aware there ARE cheap doors made with no honeycomb. You can simply press in the middle of the door panel to feel for yourself.
2. CHEAP
3. Availability. You can find them at any home improvement type place, yard sales, thrift stores, salvage yards and relatives garages :D
4.Comes in many widths, including BI FOLD widths, which are 12" up, and man door widths up to 36"
5. Comes in various veneers, of which BIRCH looks great with a coat of poly, lacquer, varnish or other clear finishes with little or no sanding. Also comes paint grade, with pre applied primer. Some come as blanks with no door predrilled latch hole.
6. Easy modification with simple hand tools..even a hand saw. They will even cut them to length for you at home improvement places. Even sawing the filler off the end when cutting the door, if it is a true honeycomb, you can easily glue a strip of something on the end and finish to match. Or, suspend the door between two/three other door pieces if you are imaginative, or even a DIY novice, there are a million fastening and or detailing options. You just have to think about it.Straight and angle brackets, cleats, glueing, screws( be aware of screwing through the skin which is usually 1/8 or quarter inch thick..design for fastening with screws at the edge, where the fillers are. They are about 1 1/2" wide under the skin). You can even hang them from the wall with hinges(which some doors come with three rabits for hinges pre machined. Two of them will fit between 44". So does a door jamb. Use one side of a jamb for a cleat to mount to a wall and hang this like a hinged desk. You can even adjust an angle by legs hinged at the front edge, and angling back to the wall, like this.

Tables are usually made out of normal lumber yard wood,
So, who cares :rolleyes:. And actually, you are wrong. Most tables are a composite such as MDF with a veneer. Unless its old or expensive. Have you priced "real hardwoods" lately? Or worked hardwoods? How bout simply cutting a 10" wide piece of oak, maple or cherry, hmmmmmm? Imagination and inginuity are made for DIY'ers who need to save money. Thats why a composite door panel makes sense. Unless your DIY skills suck, which is pretty hard to do with a door...its already solved a lot of the problems before you begin.
not a pre-cut door for an entirely different use, am I wrong?
Thats the dumbest thing I've read in a month. You have NO imagination. Who cares if its called a "door". What law says you can't use it for anything you damn well please? :rolleyes: And if thats not good enough, use a solid core or any material you want..if you have the means, tools, skills, etc....hell, theres thousands of different options out there...good grief. Look in thrift store for something to cut down, or a used store fixture place..or...well, you get my drift. THINK about it. This is EASY stuff. ;)
fitZ

Attachments

• angled desk.gif
    angled desk.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 153
you could peep out the guitar center...I bought my desk from there (about $600) but trust me it was worth every penny!

Back