Studio Snake

Zorik

Any help is appreciated. I have a snake running through the structure of my building and it has 16 XLRs and 4 balanced 1/4/". So now that it's already installed I'm trying to use one or more of the 1/4" balanced jacks to run speaker cable :spank:.

Since I know it's wrong.. I've cut open one of the jacks and changed it to unbalanced tips, i can use it for guitar, but wondering if I should use it as a speaker cable.

This will enable me to have the guitar head right next to me to dial in the proper tone from my desk while the cab and the mic are in the live room.

Don't do it. Unless it's a "hot" snake, which has cables in it that can carry the current from power amps to speakers, you run a real risk of burning out the channels you use for speakers. At the least, you go from a 16X4 to a 16X2, to a 16X0, to a 14X0, etc. At the worst, you could literally start a fire and burn the whole place down.

Da roof, da roof, da roof is on fi-uh.
We don't need no watah, let the mother-f##ker burn!
:D

If you already have a cable run just pull a couple of speaker cables through, that would be the safest and easiest bet no? you can beg or borrow the kit electricians use for cable pulling, it's very easy and fit a couple of surface plugs.
Save the heartache and potential damage!

Why not use the 4 for monitor mixes? That's most likely what they were meant for.

You should be dialing the guitar sound from inside the live room I would gather. Moving the mic/mics around in front of the cabs will dial in your tone capture.

ohhh wait a sec.. i got waht those numbers mean.. I'll burn through the whole friggin thing..

Good to know...

Thanks!

Back