studio setup

maxpayne

i got some new studio equpiment and i just wanted to know if this is an ok setup to start off with i got a mxl 770 condensor mic connected to a art tube preamp and the art tube preamp connected to a soundblaster audigy and 2 alesis monitor one monitors,i only need to record vocals at this time so i just need 1 stimultaneas track recording ,and i am currently using cool edit pro 1.5 to record,i was wondering if i need anything else,,i was already told i need a compressor and im workin on buying that and im only 13 years old and i come from a poor family so i cant really afford really expensive stuff ......................so please help me out.....

Sounds fine to me. Your next step will be to upgrade the soundcard, the soundblaster is really only good for games and stuff. Look for your next purchase to be a decent, affordable audio interface.
Everything esle you described will do the job well enogh for you for now, although nearly all of it has room to upgrade down the road.

Daav

Here --- LINK --- is the least expensive firewire interface on the market, and this --- LINK --- is a very good compressor which can be had for a very small investment. I've had mine four or five years now and it still gets used every day...

Here's a LINK to the Harmony Central review page for the compressor.

You can also get the dbx 266xl compressor for a little cheaper, and it's a good one too @ $149.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-266XL-CompressorGate?sku=183515

I don't know about the behringer F-Control though, but you could also get the M-Audio 24/96 for $99, and get a preamp for another $99 & then a compressor for $99. Behringer gots the Composer Pro MDX2600 compressor/gate/limiter for I think $109. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-MDX2600-Composer-ProXL-Compressor?sku=182475 Thats the one I have, but I'm most likely going to go and buy the dbx after I get the korg kontrol49

maxpayne said:
ok,so do you know of any good low cost soundcards or also any good low priced compressors?

m-audio has some ncie sound cards for cheap/ or that link above is really good too. just go onto sweetwater.com or musiciansfriend and check them out. do some research and see what the reveiws say and see which catches your eye the most.

i ahve the delta 1010, and i love it. and i only spent $200

Back