studio setup equipments question

UNIQNESS

i've been thinking about having a studio for about a year and been saving up for the equipments.. i currently have a P4 computer that will be fast enough to do many jobs.. however, i was told that macs are better for studios.. and if i do get a mac, i'd like to get a mac laptop (ibook or powerbook).. i'm not quite sure which setup would be better for me.. i currently have a m-audio midi controller keyboard that i purchased a while ago, and that's the only studio equipment i have so far.. if i decide to use my destop for the studio, i will probably get a m-audio delta 1010LT for my sound card.. as for software, i was told that reason is good, but i'd like to know what other good software there are out there.. the type of music that i will be recording is R&B, rap (already have turntables and a DJ mixer), alternative rock, and ballad.. since the only thing i have is a computer and a midi controller keyboard, i'd like to know what other equipments i will need for a good studio setup.. i'd also like to know disadvantages and advantages of having a desktop computer for a studio and a mac laptop for a studio.. thanks in advance.. :)

well a desktop will give you a pci card ability..which is a definite plus in my opinion. A desktop is also cheaper and generally is faster. A laptop is smaller. I have a 1010lt and i think it rocks. I have reason as well as Sonar cakewalk 4 p.e. and i cant imagine using reason as my primary sequencer. It is to limited in its ability. i dont use it much and im not even sure if it handles audio it might be only midi, but you can look that up easily. Personally i would first get a less expensive software program to start-off with. I was really surprised that when i got sonar 4 p.e (which sells for 600) and stop using sonar homestudio (sells for 100) the difference wasnt that huge. so i would get homestudio. But if you really wanted reason you could also get that and use both.

As far as the computer thing goes, there are pros and cons. Desktop is great 'cause you can do more w/ the features (such as the PCI mentioned). On the other hand, I like a laptop, 'cause I can move my recording to different rooms, different buildings, etc very easily. How cool would it be to have the same program on both and maybe just a decent simple USB soundcard to record things in other places easily, then save the tracks and open them on the desktop in your more permanent studio...Now that sounds pretty sweet to me....

what about his question on mac or pc, I'd be interested to hear that. I've got a pc and just can't stand the mac interface enough to ever change. I also thought more programs and hardware were designed for PC because of the popularity.

you're gonna need alot more than a new soundcard............monitor speakers, headphones, headphone amp, preamps, compressor, mics, multitrack host software like cubase or sonar, cables and stands (good ones are'nt cheap), acoustical room treatment, the list goes on.............

my personal opinion on mac/pc.......macs are'nt cheap and you're gonna need money for alot of other equipment so using your existing pc might be wise.

you have to work out a realistic budget and go from there. theres alot of researching to do and most likely you will be buying and reselling some of your initial equipment purchases. it can all be a big pain in the ass even for a modest home setup. good luck.

oh, then theres learning how to use mics, eq, compression, effects, mixing......alot more researching than the equipment side of things.

Somebody filled the first page of the newbie forum with spam so I bumped a few threads to push the spam down the page.

Back