studio setup equipment question

UNIQNESS

i've been thinking about having a studio for about a year and been saving up for the equipments.. i currently have a P4 computer that will be fast enough to do many jobs.. however, i was told that macs are better for studios.. and if i do get a mac, i'd like to get a mac laptop (ibook or powerbook).. i'm not quite sure which setup would be better for me.. i currently have a m-audio midi controller keyboard that i purchased a while ago, and that's the only studio equipment i have so far.. if i decide to use my destop for the studio, i will probably get a m-audio delta 1010LT for my sound card.. as for software, i was told that reason is good, but i'd like to know what other good software there are out there.. the type of music that i will be recording is R&B, rap (already have turntables and a DJ mixer), alternative rock, and ballad.. since the only thing i have is a computer and a midi controller keyboard, i'd like to know what other equipments i will need for a good studio setup.. i'd also like to know disadvantages and advantages of having a desktop computer for a studio and a mac laptop for a studio.. thanks in advance.. :)

I don't mean to be ignorant or anything ..... but dude.... search the boards!
All (or damned near) these questions have been discussed numerous times in the past.

P.S. I won't bash you for posting in more than one place ... but others likely will.

Now get searching and reading.
Good luck with it and if you find that specific questions go unanswered from your readings .... post back with your uncertain specifics.

thanks for the reply.. the reason i posted this thread was because i didn't know what to search for.. i don't know much of the studio terms that you guys use and don't even know what word i'm supposed to search for to get my questions answered.. i'm a moderator on a car forum website and know exactly what you are talking about when you say "search before you post". as for the reason why i posted in two different forums is because i wasn't getting any response in the other thread.

the board is divided up among all of the equipment you will need. You will without question need a mic, mic pre, and soundcard (for desktop PC recording).

read the mic board and pick out a couple of good dynamics and a couple of good condensors (one Large diaphram condensor or LDC and one Small diaphram condersor or SDC). then read the soundcard board...pick out a soundcard. read the rack board about mic pre's (these will also be covered under the mic board). Id say just spend 2 to 3 days reading this board and as mentioned before, you will probably find the answers to most of your qestions.

Back