studio room

Go to Auralex.com and complete their personalized condultation form:

http://www.auralex.com/pcf/

It's a PDF download that will ask you a series of questions about room dimensions, etc. Fax the form to Auralex and they should get back to you with some specific suggestions. They will probably recommend some specific Auralex products or perhaps a kit. I've been mixing in a treated room of my own design and their analysis confirmed that most of my setup was on target. They did add some helpful suggestions, including isolation pads under the monitors and removal of an EQ that had been inserted after an RTA. Below, I've posted their comments. I hope this helps.

Dear David,

Thank you for your support of Auralex Acoustics and your detailed information (very helpful). The basic outline of a successful acoustic treatment is to combine proper bass trapping with the strategic control of room reflections. Please bear in mind that the following suggestions are prepared off-site, based on the information supplied and the combined experience of the Auralex Consulting Group.

I am able to analyze the low frequency modal distribution of your control room from the dimensions offered. This analysis shows what challenges your are facing when making mix decisions in your space. The analysis shows first of all that you are extremely fortunate regarding the dimensions of your space. The modal distribution is much better than should be expected in a small room. The analysis then shows that the issues that do exist correspond to your existing treatments. Meaning, your room treatments of the LENRD bass traps and 2"Studiofoam are well chosen and placed (assuming a mix position facing the 7' wall without the door).

So, I prefer a simple approach to start...remove the graphic equalizer and add one set of Auralex MoPAD reference monitor isolation pads under your Events and a GRAMMA isolation riser under your sub. RTA is very helpful in live sound applications, but does not offer much in time domain (early reflections) or frequency response for mix applications- requires different testing methods.

Next, let me know if your mixes are more "transportable".

Shopping list of suggested treatments:
a.. One set of MoPADs
b.. One GRAMMA
c.. Note: this may be ordered as a Mo & GRAMMA 2:1 set...please ask your dealer exact pricing questions.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. Please check with your Auralex dealer for exact pricing and ordering information. If you have any questions or further concerns, don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to assisting in any manner possible and hearing of the results.

Have you tried recording in it yet?

Sometimes, they sound fine the way they are. My living room works great as is.

Back