Studio Room Treatment Advice, please

studiodrum

So, I recently had the chance to finally set up a small recording studio in the basement. Unfortunately, there is no room treatment at this time and the sound just bounces and rumbles all of the place down there-- The room is going to be used as dual room for both mixing and tracking. But, most likely will only be tracking drums and bass at the same, so hopefully only some baffling will be needed. Room dimensions are: 40'x15'x7.5' ceiling

But, I really need some room treatment to tighten up the room. My budget at this point is limited, So, I probably going to start building a few Bass Traps and hang them in the corners and possibly build a 4" thick cloud over the drum-set and maybe even the mixing console.

However, my two concerns are:

First the uneven Left corner-wall that is in-front of the mixing console. You can see by the photos that the LEFT corner is about 5" lower than the right. So, what is the best way to handle that??? should I build the build the bass trap from floor to ceiling-- all the way up to the top of each tri-corner (even though they wont be symmetrical) or, . .Do I try and make both Left and Right corners even-- By building both bass traps to 6 feet high, than adding (2) 24"x24"x4 square panels in the Tri-corners and then lower the Right side square panel to meet the same angle as the Left (that would even the symmetry) But is that necessary??

Secondly-- if you look at the photos of the back of the studio-- to the left of the couch- where the shelves are-- is that little angled alcove that creates THREE corners. Do I need to hang Bass Traps in all THREE of those corners of the alcove or can I just hang one bass trap on each side of the back wall?

Anyway, sorry for rambling, . . any advice you guys can give me, would be really appreciated. Have a great weekend fellas!

Attachments

• Front Studio.jpg
    Front Studio.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 67
  • Front_Studio2 close-up.jpg
    Front_Studio2 close-up.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Back Studio.jpg
    Back Studio.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Back_Studio2 Close-up.jpg
    Back_Studio2 Close-up.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Looks like a nice sized space.

Your general plan of attack is good - trap the front corners of the room floor to ceiling with at least 4" thick. 4" cloud over the drums is good - space it at least 2" off the ceiling.

In the rear corners, yes - you should do all 3 of the corners as well as hitting the back wall by the couch with some 4" to kill the long modes of the room.

I'd also recommend some panels on the front wall and at least a couple on each side wall to do double duty as reflection absorbers for mixing while adding some general decay control for around the drum area.

Bryan

hey man, . . Thanks for the help dude! :p

So, you think that I should go with a 4" cloud over the drums? I was actually thinking of building a 48"x48" cloud and going with 2" thick, 2" off the ceiling. . .But, if you think that a 4" thick cloud will make that much a of difference, I can probably do that. >>> Would a 48"x24" 4' think cloud do, . . or should it be at least (2) 48x24x4" panels??

Also, whats your thought on that uneven ceiling corner??? The left side corner is 80" (cause of that lower ceiling area) and the Right side goes to 86" >>> Would it be more efficient to build the corner bass traps all the way up to the ceiling with the left side going to 80" and the the Right side going to 86" and just leaving it that way, .. >>>> or my other thought was to build two corner bass traps-- both 72" high and then install a square 24x24x4" bass trap in the Tri-corners and angle them evenly-- so to try and make both corners symmetrical -- "what are your thoughts Hopkins, . . ?" :D

You can get by with 2" and a 2" gap if $$$ is tight. I'd rather see the bigger cloud. I'd probably do 4'x6' to cover the entire kit.

For the uneven corner, I'd just do the floor to underside for now again if money is tight.

Bryan

Back