Studio Room Question

Condensed

can a 17" x 17" room be divided into a tracking room and a beatmaking/ control room? im kind of new to this would i be better off renting off a space? or can i make this work?

Only if you are a mouse.

You mean 17' x 17'. :)

Don't divide the room unless you have a really, really, really good reason to.
You will end up with a couple of walk-in closets that will not be good for anything.

Keep it one room, and when tracking, just use headphones to monitor.
The bigger space will be better for tracking, mixing and generally everything.

With the following caveat...don't leave the room square. :)
Cut a couple feet off one end and make it storage or something, so you get 15x17, but don't play the square trap. It's just no fun.

Is there really no other room you can utilize as a control room?
You seem to be a bit more serious about recording than the average bod and I have a bit of a left field suggestion.
CCTV. You can now buy very decent FSTs for £99 here and cameras for £30 (tho, CPC are doing a good one for 15quid +vat!) TV coax is pretty cheap and you then just need to rig a talkback system.

Dave.

Is there really no other room you can utilize as a control room?
You seem to be a bit more serious about recording than the average bod and I have a bit of a left field suggestion.
CCTV. You can now buy very decent FSTs for £99 here and cameras for £30 (tho, CPC are doing a good one for 15quid +vat!) TV coax is pretty cheap and you then just need to rig a talkback system.

Dave.

i have a room to the side of this for meditation it is 17 x 11 how about.. i convert that room into a square since not many people will be using it at once. and a sliver of that could be a vocal booth or something? i could rent out a space but i want that ..unpure unsheltered feel off of the music i plan to recording in terms of the fact that i can just stroll into there at anytime and create whatever is on my mind. where as a more sterile studio somewhere else.

---------- Update ----------

there is already a walkin closet sized storage area where i thought i could switch off acoustic drums e drums and different cables and extra drumsticks guitar picks and strings. and mics and miscellaneous stuff like that.

---------- Update ----------

hehe.. i figured.the thing is im trying to make it work i commented this below but i have a 17 x 11 meditation room i still like the room.. but maybe i could cut off part of it.?

Don't think you are paying proper attention Condensed!
You DON'T want a square room under any circumstances! You also don't want a vocal "booth". At least not for singing in. If you need to make voice overs, speech then yes, a small room killed to death with absorbent will win on two fronts. It will give a totally dry acoustic (which you can pimp later if required) and will also keep out ambient noise, THE bane of the speech recordist!

As well as "not square" it is good if rooms are not an integer ratio so 17 by 11 is good (17 by 15 would have been better!) . The monitors need to fire down the length of the room about 1/3 down from the back wall. Chuck a big ole sofa at the far end then fill the room with as much bass trapping as you can.

I would not reduce the 17x17 room as such but put a divider (or two) 2/3ds the way across at about the 15foot make. Make it quite deep, 2feet or more and as a "sandwich" of stud, rockwool (say) and pegboard. You could hide a drummer behind it. MAYBE give him a d.glazed window? The divider can be used to hang cables on (and the drummer;s dead animals).

But! All this is going to be costly in money and time. DO NOT DO A THING until you have had mpre advice from the "proper" acoustic people here. My efforts are just the distillation of a decade's reading.

Dave.

Don't think you are paying proper attention Condensed!
You DON'T want a square room under any circumstances! You also don't want a vocal "booth". At least not for singing in. If you need to make voice overs, speech then yes, a small room killed to death with absorbent will win on two fronts. It will give a totally dry acoustic (which you can pimp later if required) and will also keep out ambient noise, THE bane of the speech recordist!

As well as "not square" it is good if rooms are not an integer ratio so 17 by 11 is good (17 by 15 would have been better!) . The monitors need to fire down the length of the room about 1/3 down from the back wall. Chuck a big ole sofa at the far end then fill the room with as much bass trapping as you can.

I would not reduce the 17x17 room as such but put a divider (or two) 2/3ds the way across at about the 15foot make. Make it quite deep, 2feet or more and as a "sandwich" of stud, rockwool (say) and pegboard. You could hide a drummer behind it. MAYBE give him a d.glazed window? The divider can be used to hang cables on (and the drummer;s dead animals).

But! All this is going to be costly in money and time. DO NOT DO A THING until you have had mpre advice from the "proper" acoustic people here. My efforts are just the distillation of a decade's reading.

Dave.

i have a 17x13 room money is not a limitation for me. .. so.. i could just rent a space.
because that space is currently the home theatre. BUT i can switch the two rooms thought htat wont help either way. because sound in general will be awkward in a square room.

i have a 17x13 room money is not a limitation for me. .. so.. i could just rent a space.
because that space is currently the home theatre. BUT i can switch the two rooms thought htat wont help either way. because sound in general will be awkward in a square room.

A home theatre is probably a very good start for a control room! You have 1/2 the CCTV installed already.

If you really do have the wherewithal yes, rent a space and get a man in to advise. Err? can I come work for you? Joke! Too old and tied up as a carer.

Dave.

heh. if i were to it would be temporary i plan on using tablets as controllers so i wouldnt exactly need someone else as an engineer and what not

heh. if i were to it would be temporary i plan on using tablets as controllers so i wouldnt exactly need someone else as an engineer and what not

Heh! I would be no good as a recording engineer, too bloody deaf now! No, I just have always loved "doing electricals"! Never happier than with a bag of XLRs an 100mtrs of cabled. (actually the left eye is borked now and I have not tried to solder a plug for 6 months!)

But! I can still read, think and type (excuse the tpyyos!).

Dvea.

Best advice if you have a high budget...hire a consultant. Ask John Brandt or Ethan Winer (both on this site) for a good load of advice from people who do this for a living.
Yeah, Dave and I are old timers that have some knowledge about how to play the game. My space is very nice for the $10,000 budget I put into it...well plus a bit since. But the point is: we're still relative novices at acoustic design. I got some really great advice from both of the above named members and came up with a really nice control room (which I also track in. I have a separate room that I can track vocals in (larger, vaulted ceilings, nice acoustics...my home theater room :)), so everything came out roses for me.
But there are a lot of pitfalls that I lucked (or bulled) my way through that you can avoid by talking with an acoustic engineer, and not a couple of people who've read about and discussed with such. I can guide you based on the mistakes I've made. Dave can guide you based the mistakes he's made. John or Ethan can guide you based on 100s of clients' mistakes. They may even know someone around your area that would be qualified to consult with you about the spaces you have available.
Anyway, I get to rambling...point is, if you've got the budget, do it right. Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Even if everything we tell you is true, there may be 100 things we don't know to tell you.

Best advice if you have a high budget...hire a consultant. Ask John Brandt or Ethan Winer (both on this site) for a good load of advice from people who do this for a living.
Yeah, Dave and I are old timers that have some knowledge about how to play the game. My space is very nice for the $10,000 budget I put into it...well plus a bit since. But the point is: we're still relative novices at acoustic design. I got some really great advice from both of the above named members and came up with a really nice control room (which I also track in. I have a separate room that I can track vocals in (larger, vaulted ceilings, nice acoustics...my home theater room :)), so everything came out roses for me.
But there are a lot of pitfalls that I lucked (or bulled) my way through that you can avoid by talking with an acoustic engineer, and not a couple of people who've read about and discussed with such. I can guide you based on the mistakes I've made. Dave can guide you based the mistakes he's made. John or Ethan can guide you based on 100s of clients' mistakes. They may even know someone around your area that would be qualified to consult with you about the spaces you have available.
Anyway, I get to rambling...point is, if you've got the budget, do it right. Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Even if everything we tell you is true, there may be 100 things we don't know to tell you.

Thanks so much man .. helped alot!

Back