Studio Projects VTB1 issues

buryher17

I purchased the VTB1 new about 2 years ago and it has served me countless hours of amazing low budget mic pre ... happiness? haha

Unfortunately, after a short, mess around studio session with some friends the plug died out on me. I didn't realize this til later due to the fact I wasn't the one behind the mixer or board so It didn't come to my attention until I had to power the unit later that week.

It is apparent that the plug is shot. I used it in another unit and it didn't work. However, I plugged in my alesis adapter (i know this was a bad idea.. no mixing plugs.. SORRY) but the unit powered up HOWEVER it wouldn't have any signal leaving the pre amp.

Is there something wrong with the pre amp? Or is it maybe that the plug wasn't powerful enough for the unit? I know for a fact the alesis power adapter was a smaller voltage than the SP one.

Any help would be great! I want to just buy a new plug for this unit for $20 but don't want to waste the money if I find out it's the tube that's shot. (the tube is bright blue still btw). I'm still learning about the insides of pre amps so bare with my little knowledge.

Gregory

The "plug" as you call it is actually a 12Volt AC power supply. Look at the milliamp rating (on the part that plugs into the wall). The replacement power supply needs to be exactly the same specs as the original. I believe the Alesis is a DC power supply and lower current; it won't work. The VTB1 requires a 12 Volt AC power supply, capable of putting out somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 MA.

The "plug" as you call it is actually a 12Volt AC power supply. Look at the milliamp rating (on the part that plugs into the wall). The replacement power supply needs to be exactly the same specs as the original. I believe the Alesis is a DC power supply and lower current; it won't work. The VTB1 requires a 12 Volt AC power supply, capable of putting out somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 MA.

I meant power supply, I appologize, Thanks a lot! I will definately buy a new plug and try that. I don't think it's the tubes because there still a similar blue color, and with my little knowledge on tube amps, that means their not shot

thanks again

I meant power supply, I appologize, Thanks a lot! I will definately buy a new plug and try that. I don't think it's the tubes because there still a similar blue color, and with my little knowledge on tube amps, that means their not shot
thanks again
The blue color is a blue LED behind the tube. It's a "starved plate" design and the tube is probably still good, but the blue LED is not an indicator of the tube's condition.

The blue color is a blue LED behind the tube. It's a "starved plate" design and the tube is probably still good, but the blue LED is not an indicator of the tube's condition.

oh ok, thanks! I will definately look up more about tubes cause I need to learn about it.

I bought the ac adapter so I'll know later this week if that was the actuall issue.. if not then :[ I'll be upset

I saw Alan Hyatt post about this somewhere on this board. He said that they had a bad batch of transformers go out the door at one point. He did say that SP would be more than happy to replace them.

Vtb1

oh ok, thanks! I will definately look up more about tubes cause I need to learn about it.

I bought the ac adapter so I'll know later this week if that was the actuall issue.. if not then :[ I'll be upset

Hi, Could fix your problem by using the right power supply?

cheers

Back