Studio Projects T3 vs. T3v2 vs. T3v2 w/Cinemag

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi.

The subject heading says it all. I have one of the "original" T3's (with an NOS tube) and was wondering just exactly what I'm missing out on by *not* upgrading to the newer T3v2 ...and (for Mr. Gerst) the T3v2 w/Cinemag transformer?

Thanks!

-mr moon

I think Harvey's own T3 may be from the original "series", although I suspect the beta testing (Cinemag) T3 is probably from the revamped "series".........What I do know is that the capsules in all SP's newer "series" LD mics have been tweaked compared to the original capsules, while the changes were individually minor, the cumulative effect was judged to be an "improvement" over the original capsule. The tweaks (may have) involved things such as dimensional changes and changes in manufacturing techniques to help fine tune the capsules.......;). The thing is, that as with everything audio, so much depends on personal preferences, sources material, etc., etc., so there's no guarantees.

It will be a little while longer before I drop a Cinemag in my original T3 and I'll probably do some before and after recordings then assess whether to play with tubes.

:cool:

...if you haven't already upgraded the tube in the T3, you might find a slight improvement on the original version by doing so...I upgraded mine and it did improve overall response abeit minor...worth the cost of a good quality tube and easily performed by a novice...the recommended tube is a NOS GE 6072 or 6072A...they are still readily available for as little as $10 on eBay or $20-60 from the online tube suppliers...the GE 5-Star black plate/triple mica is the holy grail and goes for the higher end of the price scale...clean the pins of the NOS tube with contact cleaner before seating it in the T3's tube socket...since the T3 doesn't suffer from a hyped top end like many of the Chinese tube mics, the improvement will be subtle, but still audible and IMHO a bit "cleaner" sounding...the Chinese/Russian tubes generally used as stock tubes in these mics although low in microphonics, they are somewhat inferior to the NOS vintage tubes like the GE 6072...when you're recording into a digital source, the difference is worthy of the expense (IMHO)...your mileage may vary...;)

Back