Studio Projects LSD2 & C4... I think I'm in love

mgraffeo

So I was just checking out the SP (www.studioprojects.com)page, hoping that the site was updated with the LSD2 and the C4 info. They are both up, and look great! The LSD2 might be the most innovative idea in stereo mic'ing I've ever seen. SOOOOO worth checking out (I think that I'm going to need one of these!)

Question for Alan Hyatt: Do you intend to do a session CD with the LSD2 and the C4? I'd loveto get a copy of one, just to check it out. Or will you be submitting these mics to The Listening Sessions, so that we can all hear just how great they sound? When do you expect them to hit the shelves? How much is it going to take for me to get my hands on one?

OK, I'm probably a little too excited, but I wasn't expecting the LSD2 to be so COOL! Great idea, to include being able to do Mid-Side with it, as well as X-Y!

-MG

Man I've been holding off getting a SD mic because of the talk of these. When will they hit the market? That C4 package looks great!

Blessings, Terry

Oops! Sorry about the web link. Thanks, coplinger!!

I've got another question for Alan/Brent:

If I remember correctly, in a thread a while back, I got the impression that the C4 would ship with a single capsule, and additional capsules would be available for about $100. But when I check the page, it seems like they are both included (cardiod & omni). Did I misunderstand, or was there a change? If you are including both, my hat is off to you!

-MG

they upped the list price by what, 300 bucks...

that's a good thing in my opinion...if the mics can bridge the gap between say, NT5s, and KM184s

lsd2 certainly looks cool...

that isn't the Stephen Paul mic is it?

I have been really out of the loop, but i can't find any info on recording.org, or the sp site, about the progress of his mic.

it wasn't canceled was it? i know he has been very ill - this isn't meant to be insensitive, just confused.

wes480 said:
they upped the list price by what, 300 bucks...

that's a good thing in my opinion...if the mics can bridge the gap between say, NT5s, and KM184s

I don't recall what they said they thought the list price would be....but notice that that is the price for a PAIR of C4s.

I really look forward to Harvey and some of the folks around here test driving these mics!

-lee-

Wes,

I can't quote Alan exactly, but there was some reference very recently to the SPaul mic being approx 3-4 months away.

Patience is a virtue...............having the $ to afford one is a dream.

:cool:

Gotta love the model names...

LSD2? :D

Very creative idea. Way convenient way to get a bunch of stereo micing techniques.

I wonder what the street price will be?

The only complaint that I have is that 2 C3's would be more versatile, but its probably a great idea for someone who does a lot of stereo micing. If street price is substantially less than 2 c3's, it might not be a bad deal.

Take care,
Chris

mgraffeo said:
, it seems like they are both included (cardiod & omni). Did I misunderstand, or was there a change?
-MG

It comes with a matched pair, card and omni caps for each one, and a case..etc. Totally aewsome for $300. Thats what I got out of Alan in prior threads.

SoMm

SoMm,

boy, I was just starting to get seriously excited over the prospects of picking up a set of Oktava MC-012's with the full matched capsule set at The Sound Room. But with these mics coming out with matched Cardiod and Omni capsules at a street price of $300, I might start changing my tune :-) I was never all that excited about a hypercardiod capsule, anyways (though it is one plus for the 012's... any word on future capsule availability?)

Related to this thread, I've got two totally newbie questions, so bear with me.
1) Are there such things as figure eight capsules for an end-address Small Diaphragm condenser, or do you need to have side-address to do that?

2) Does anyone know if there is a standard for capsule attachment? Specifically, what I'm wondering is if I picked up a pair of C4's, sometime down the road when I'm feeling a little crazy, could I hook up a pair of LOMO heads to them, or does each company use their own method of attaching the capsule to the body? I know that I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but my brain has been on turbo for the last day or two, and I can't seem to settle down...

Now I can't wait to find some sort of shootout between the C4 and the MC-012!

-MG

i think the LSD2 will be much better than 2 C3s for people who are impatient with setup.

if I could just throw up a mic instead of worrying about phase etc, and just focus on the performance and production...that's a winner in my book.

Hi everybody,

I have some stuff to say on this thread but I'm totally swamped.

In short,
-C4's shipping with 4 capsules: yes.
-Blows away 603: No comparison. Seriously. None. 603 sounds like it's in another room on the a/b recordings. Off axis response of C4 cardioid is nice. Recordings made at 90deg. are good takes.
-Stephen Paul mic 3-4 months: could be sooner. Many many details though. Mic itself - kicks ass
-Stephen Paul: Lives.
-Figure of 8 capsules: side address only otherwise the body would be in the way
-Standard for capsule attachment: no. Capsules may be adapted in many cases if one is capable of making an adapter.
-Session CD with LSD2: I have a stack of discs made with the LSD2: Hollywood String Quartet, Louie Cruz Beltran, Diane Shuure, Steve Tyrell, Tribute to Duke Ellington, tribute to Brian Mitchell, etc.
-Street price of LSD2: around $799.00
-Session CD with C4: On the way

Ok back to it. Thanks for the interest in our mics, everybody.

Regards
Brent Casey
Studio Projects Microdot

Brent Casey said:
Hi everybody,

I have some stuff to say on this thread but I'm totally swamped.

In short,
-C4's shipping with 4 capsules: yes.
-Blows away 603: No comparison. Seriously. None. 603 sounds like it's in another room on the a/b recordings. Off axis response of C4 cardioid is nice. Recordings made at 90deg. are good takes.
These are definitely next on my list...if the restock of B1s don't get to me first. :)

-Stephen Paul: Lives.
Thank you g-d! :D

Brent,

Thanks for the replies!!! I'll be patient and wait for the C4 session CD. Can you point me in the direction of any CD's or mp3's recorded using the LSD2?

Is the street price for the C4 still expected to be $300? If so, what's your take on the C4 versus the Rode NT-5? How about versus the KM184? I realize that it's probably a --slightly-- biased opinion ;-), but I'm really curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!!!!!

-MG

Brent Casey said:

Rock on, Brent!

I was wondering if you could do us a big, big favor and link us to a frequency response curve for these babies when you get the chance (?)

. . . an accurate one would be preferable. :D No offense, but some of that stuff MXL publishes is kind of a joke, but we know you had nothing to do with that, right? :D

I'm really curious as to what kind of character they're going to have. Flat and accurate (ala Earthworks), or can we expect a little high-end sizzle as with the mxl603s ?

Thanks!

Chess

The retail on the C4's is the same as the RODE's..$599.99.

Differences: The C4 body ships with a pad and hi-pass filter right off the bat. The C4 includes matched pair bodies, and two sets of capsules, Omni, and Cardioid.

It includes two "Shockmounts"...not clips, foam windscreens, and it is in the same roadcase as the C1.

They turned out much better than we had hoped, and with four capsules included, the price went up a bit. The street price should be about $379.00. Yes, a bit more than the RODE, but even at that, the pad and Hi-Pass filter is worth the extra $70.00. Then throw in another set of capsules, and shock mounts which the RODE does not have, and you end up with what we hope you all will feel is a sweet deal. Especially since it is a step up mic.

More specs and graphs are coming.

Back