Studio Projects C4 Problem

steelphantom

I have a pair of C4s that I bought about 2-3 years ago, and now one of the mics is making a weird noise. It sounds almost as if someone is blowing into it. The capsules are all fine, because they work without a hitch on the other mic. I've also tested various input channels and cables, so it has to be the mic. What could be the problem? Moisture in the mic? Damaged electronics from a drop that may have occurred? I'm really annoyed about this.

Any of those things may or may not be the problem ... I would suggest you get in touch with Studio Projects / PMI Audio to ask them what help they can offer.

http://www.pmiaudio.com/

I've had a pair of C4s for ages now and not had any trouble, but I am fastidious about care of my microphones because I simply cannot afford to replace things every 18 months. As Strong Bad put it in one of his best email cartoons "technology is basically anything really clever that you don't know how it works, and if it breaks, you have to buy a new one".

Hopefully yours can be fixed though.:)

I had a B3 mic that went sour and started making strange noises after about a year. Studio Projects took it back, no questions asked, and repaired it, as if they were aware of the problem with the mic. My problem actually sounded similar to yours, so they will likely do the same. All I had to do was pay the shipping to their address.

-MD

Moisture can do it, but it could be something else. Try putting it in a ziptop bag with a few desiccant packets overnight. If the sound goes away, moisture was your problem. If not, contact pmi, or crack the sucker open, if you're adventurous. ;)

Back