Studio Projects C1 versus My Guitar

Back In Town

I am very happy to see everyone getting enjoyment from using the mics, as that is what all of this is about.

Zoetrope,

You mic place ment is almost there. Get the mic 6" from the front of the guitar and turn it about 15 degrees of center. Give that a try. I am curious what the sonic changes are when you do that.

GT,

Being home cheers me up, but sorry, no freebee's today :D

Keep the questions coming guys, I am in town for 10 days!

"front of guitar"

Where in front of the guitar, in front of the sound hole? Turn it 15 degrees in which direction, toward or away from the neck. You answer one question, you get 20 more.

Zoeman,

In your recodings, the first take was a bit weak on the low end, the second take had good bottom. I am not sure where your position was on the second take, but my guess was in front of the F hole.

If so, move the mic up towards the neck away from the hole about 4", then turn it 15 degrees in either direction. I want you to try to attack the mic from off axis just a little bit, but stay close to the F hole and only 4 to 6" back from the hole, so don't move much when you play...if that's possible! :D

Let me know your findings.

My Findings

http://www.artistcollaboration.com/...emo neck meets hole 4 inches out off axis.wav is the huge (2.something megs) wav file and
is the 600kbyte mp3 version. I used very slight compression just to tame the transients and then normalized, but there's plenty room for more compression. Aside from my sloppy picking I'd say the thing that I don't like is the tinny high end. I still lean toward having the mic a little more centered over the sound hole.
However, I also tried this mic position and used it in a mix and it sounded pretty damned good. Still playing with that mix but it's two takes on guitar and three on vocals and without any compression or effects it comes out sounding really nice.

Still experimenting, but I always am.

Back