Studio projects C1 or Audio-Technica AT3035

looser

Im in the market for a new vocal mic so i will ask the question
Who would win in a fight, the C1 or the AT3035?

looser said:
Im in the market for a new vocal mic so i will ask the question
Who would win in a fight, the C1 or the AT3035?
It depends on the singer... but, I'd put my money on the C1. Dude you really need to audition the two mics for yourself... no one here can tell you which mic would be best for YOU.

The AT3035 is flat up 15,000 Hz compared to 6,000 Hz for the C1. The C1 is hyped in the high end with a +5dB hump around 12,000 Hz. I would expect it to be the more sibilent of the two.

The AT puts out 25mV compared to 14mV for the C1. The AT signal to noise at 82 is much higher than 77 for the C1.

The bummer (for me) is the AT3033 is an electret, and the C1 is a true condensor design. This is a personal issue for me with electrets... YMMV.

From what I read here, the C1 is more hot in the in the highs, and this will limit its use, such as being a poor choice for cymbals and overheads.

In the end, auditioning them both is the only way to know for sure.

Yeah, the C1 has a hyped up top end, which is good for some and not for others... and this does limit it's uses like overheads as you pointed out. But then again, he's looking for a vox mic. ;)

But we both know he should audition the mics.

I'd say they're probably pretty close in quality -- you could probably throw the new Rode NT1A in to the same camp.

Like the other guys are saying, it would be mostly a matter of personal taste.

In a fight, I would much rather have the C1. It makes a fine club. You'd need 2 3035's in a pillowcase to be as effective.

FWIW, the C1 makes a great mic for male vocals. I can post a link if you'd like to hear a sample.

Back