Studio Projects C1, C3, and T3 gets reviewed in this months “Recording”

It’s a pretty in-depth review written by Marty Peters and worth picking up a copy for, if you are interested. Look's like he loved the C1 and T3, saying the C1 was a “winner” and that the T3 “closely” resembled the sound of the Microtech Gefell UM92.

He further described the C1 as being a clear winner as a “bang for the buck” mic. The T3 is further described as “not a heavily colored” mic but “more open and transparent”.

He stated that the C3 was their least favorite vocal mic in cardioid mode. However, in figure 8 and omni mode, they seemed to adore it on acoustic guitar and mandolin.

Very cool. I think new reviews of established product are always timely. I like to be the first to get a review out as we've done several times but I also like to go out and review something that's been around a bit as we did recently with your review of the Oktava MK319.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

hmmmm..... this would seem strange as I was always under the impression that the C3 in cardiod pattern was identical to the C1.

Is this not the case?

I can understand it in figure 8 and omni modes, as the secondary element would be turned on, but in cardiod it should be the same.

Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis said:
I can understand it in figure 8 and omni modes, as the secondary element would be turned on, but in cardiod it should be the same.
It's on during cardioid mode, too. The resulting sound is always a combination of the two. It can be done by applying different voltages to each diaphragm thus giving different diaphragm/backplane voltage ratios. That's why multi-pattern mics sound different than their cardioid only versions. Same goes for the B1 and B3.

Brent Casey can explain this real well.

Brent? Are you out there? Heeeeelllllllooooooo! :D

I read the same thing (in EQ mag) last summer regarding the B1 and B3. The reviewer had expected the two to sound the same in cardoid mode, but that wasn't the case. He ended up giving the overall nod to the cheaper B1.

J.

I guess that would make sense, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't just shut down the secondary element when using the cardoid mode.

Either way, I've got a C3 and have been happy with it... though it sounds like I need to set it up in Fig 8 or Omni and try tracking an acoustic part or two :)

Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis said:
I guess that would make sense, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't just shut down the secondary element when using the cardoid mode.

Either way, I've got a C3 and have been happy with it... though it sounds like I need to set it up in Fig 8 or Omni and try tracking an acoustic part or two :)

Velvet Elvis
Yeah, I've always wanted a C3 for vocals simply because it had the C1 sound, without as much hyped upper end. Never thought about it being good on acoustics.

usually I use my c3 in cardoid pattern and my thinline gold pickup... track them to seperate tracks and then pan slightly... pretty decent sound...

I'll have to try fig 8 or omni and see what it sounds like.

My room sound pretty decent, all walls are dead and the floor is live, so I get a pretty natural guitar sound.

Now if I could just learn to sit still when I play.

Velvet Elvis

Hey cominginsecond... it looks like I'm not the only one who knows the C1 and C3... and B1 and B3 sound different. Smile.

Flatpicker said:
It's on during cardioid mode, too. The resulting sound is always a combination of the two. It can be done by applying different voltages to each diaphragm thus giving different diaphragm/backplane voltage ratios. That's why multi-pattern mics sound different than their cardioid only versions. Same goes for the B1 and B3.

DJL said:
Hey cominginsecond... it looks like I'm not the only one who knows the C1 and C3... and B1 and B3 sound different. Smile.
And you wonder why no one likes you on this board?

P.S. Either find where I said that the B1 and B3 sound identical or shut the eff up!

Back