Studio Projects B3???

Tnglwd_Stu

Hi there guys.

Someone suggested the studio projects B3 to me as a budget LD switchable pattern mic - it's got rave marketing reviews, but has anyone used one?

I'll be using it in a commercial environment, recording live acoustic instruments usch as acoustic guitars, voice, etc.

I have a few LD mics already (Rode NT1 and a couple MXL-990's), and a decent pre (Focusrite Penta) so what I'm really looking for a switchable pattern LD on a budget. At cardiod, fig8 and omni for £120 it seems the best (if not only) option.

What d'you think?

Cheers,

Stu

Tnglwd_Stu said:
Hi there guys.

Someone suggested the studio projects B3 to me as a budget LD switchable pattern mic - it's got rave marketing reviews, but has anyone used one?

I'll be using it in a commercial environment, recording live acoustic instruments usch as acoustic guitars, voice, etc.

I have a few LD mics already (Rode NT1 and a couple MXL-990's), and a decent pre (Focusrite Penta) so what I'm really looking for a switchable pattern LD on a budget. At cardiod, fig8 and omni for £120 it seems the best (if not only) option.

What d'you think?

Cheers,

Stu

I have two Studio Projects B3 mic's and love them.

Stu,

The SP-B3 is the only budget three-pattern around and it's a ripping mic. With the filter/pad and pattern control you can use the thing all over the place. Also, we just got the B-series shockmounts in. If you have a fairly decent room, give the omni a try - it can really liven up your takes.
Also, the MXL990/MCA-SP1 has a 20mm diaphragm which is not generally considered a "large-diaphragm".

Regards,

Brent Casey
Studio Projects Microphones
Torrance, Ca.
877-563-6335

Tnglwd_Stu said:
Hi there guys.

What d'you think?

Cheers,

Stu

If you're thinking about checking out the B3, it's worth it to request a CD from Studio Projects (details at www.studioprojects.com). They'll send you a disc with a bunch of recordings of the B series, where you can compare the B3 to the TB-1, and even the C3. Definitely worth listening to!

Re: Re: Studio Projects B3???

Brent Casey said:

Also, the MXL990/MCA-SP1 has a 20mm diaphragm which is not generally considered a "large-diaphragm".

Regards,

Brent Casey

I've always wondered about the MCA-SP1. So it is a Marshall product? I've always assumed that it was some 1006. I've never actually seen one, but they seem to be all over the web, some saying that MCA is the brand...

Does the SP1 have the same 20 mm diaphragm that's found in the 603?

Re: Re: Re: Studio Projects B3???

Sklathill said:
I've always wondered about the MCA-SP1. So it is a Marshall product? I've always assumed that it was some 1006. I've never actually seen one, but they seem to be all over the web, some saying that MCA is the brand...

Does the SP1 have the same 20 mm diaphragm that's found in the 603?

Yep.

Brent Casey

Just got a B3 a couple weeks ago. So far I've used it on a Gibson J45 with GORGEOUS results. Also recorded a couple of male vocal tracks and it had a really nice presence about it. Haven't had a chance to use the omni or fig 8 patterns yet.

Tnglwd_Stu said:
Hi there guys.

What d'you think?

Cheers,

Stu
I've compared a bunch of "under $300" mics to my B3. My conclusion is: Unless you can afford an AKG 451, 414 or a Neumann KM184, (and maybe even if you can) this is THE mic for acoustics.
-Flatpicker

Well I got 2 B-1's as they have lower self noise (correct me if I am wrong) and are just a 1 diaphram version of the B-3. I really don't have a room that is good enough to record many patterns other than cardoid or super cardoid.

The B-3 is a really good deal though. Since I have 2 B-1's and also a V67, I recently cancelled my puchase of a C-1 (which is heavily backoreded most everywhere) and ordered a type V A51 by ADK. This mic is supposed to sound great on acoustic as well. 8thstreet has a special where you get the SC1, A51, 2 30 foot cables, and a shock mount for $199. I couldn't pass it up. I'll get a C-1 or C-3 when I get the money in January.

Beezoboy

Well, I can get my hands on the B3, but now I need the Gibson J45 (or J160E Magical Tour). I have been playing on the absolute worst piece of crap nylon string guitar that I bought in a Corvallis, Oregon thrift shop for $20.00. It's been my main axe for over a year now. The action is like a lap steel. So, I'm in a guitar shop in Laguna Beach the other day, playing this cut-away Taylor from hell and my wife is just _blown away_ by the sound coming out of this thing, because she's been hearing me play my hideous Salvation Army guitar every day for the last year...Guess what's right up there on my Xmas list... At least Alan's Martin is here at work now. Justin and I were using that thing for some A/B's on the new SP-C4's the other day and it's like playing a whole different instrument.
So are you using the B3's HPF much when you record guitar?

Brent Casey

mam said:
Just got a B3 a couple weeks ago. So far I've used it on a Gibson J45 with GORGEOUS results. Also recorded a couple of male vocal tracks and it had a really nice presence about it. Haven't had a chance to use the omni or fig 8 patterns yet.

Brent, if you're gonna be a badass in the mic biz, bite the bullet and buy a damn guitar! And I don't mean Epiphone, Washburn etc. Get a McPherson, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Rain Song, Huss & Dalton, et al. That's why we have credit cards. Life's too short to play Salvation Army guitars.-Richie

Re: Re: Studio Projects B3???

Hi Brent,
I want/need two B-series shockmounts for my SP B3 mics... when are the dealers going to have them for sale? I can't find them anywhere. Thanks, DJL

==================
Brent Casey said:
Stu,

The SP-B3 is the only budget three-pattern around and it's a ripping mic. With the filter/pad and pattern control you can use the thing all over the place. Also, we just got the B-series shockmounts in. If you have a fairly decent room, give the omni a try - it can really liven up your takes.

Regards,

Brent Casey
Studio Projects Microphones
Torrance, Ca.
877-563-6335

Last edited:
Richard Monroe said:
Brent, if you're gonna be a badass in the mic biz, bite the bullet and buy a damn guitar! And I don't mean Epiphone, Washburn etc. Get a McPherson, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Rain Song, Huss & Dalton, et al. That's why we have credit cards. Life's too short to play Salvation Army guitars.-Richie

:)

I'll most likely be having a Taylor made pretty quick. That is a tailor-made Taylor...built, but property taxes seem to come up whenever I have any extra dough. I'm also shopping for a 3/4 upright bass.
One thing I did discover with my crappy beach guitar is the ultimate rotary effect: Kick back in about two feet of water and submerge the guitar to just below the soundhole, then move your picking arm around in a rapid motion to vary the pressure on the body of the guitar: Killer Leslie sound. I do have to say that a shite guitar is convenient, if nothing else. It'll be leaning in a corner in one room and I'll walk through, grab it, start playing, while walking into another room, or outside, then set it down and continue on with what I was doing. If it happens to stay out in the yard overnight - no big. If we go somewhere, I just throw the thing in the back of my truck (bjannng!) and then toss all the bags and surfboards, etc. on top of it. If I had the super deluxe uber- Taylor with mother of pearl inlays of Bob Taylor's face on the fretboard, I would have to keep it in the case, or the studio all the time. If it fell over, I would run in circles screaming, then go into cardiac arrest. Bottom line, there is a beauty in $20.00 thrift store guitars, you see, it's just that the beauty unfortunately does not lie in the tonal quality, or playability.

Brent Casey

Richard Monroe said:

Brent Casey said:
I'll most likely be having a Taylor made pretty quick. That is a tailor-made Taylor...built, but property taxes seem to come up whenever I have any extra dough. I'm also shopping for a 3/4 upright bass.
One thing I did discover with my crappy beach guitar is the ultimate rotary effect: Kick back in about two feet of water and submerge the guitar to just below the soundhole, then move your picking arm around in a rapid motion to vary the pressure on the body of the guitar: Killer Leslie sound. I do have to say that a shite guitar is convenient, if nothing else. It'll be leaning in a corner in one room and I'll walk through, grab it, start playing, while walking into another room, or outside, then set it down and continue on with what I was doing. If it happens to stay out in the yard overnight - no big. If we go somewhere, I just throw the thing in the back of my truck (bjannng!) and then toss all the bags and surfboards, etc. on top of it. If I had the super deluxe uber- Taylor with mother of pearl inlays of Bob Taylor's face on the fretboard, I would have to keep it in the case, or the studio all the time. If it fell over, I would run in circles screaming, then go into cardiac arrest. Bottom line, there is a beauty in $20.00 thrift store guitars, you see, it's just that the beauty unfortunately does not lie in the tonal quality, or playability.

Brent Casey
That’s hilarious! (and believe me, I need some humor today:D ). Good to know you’re a fellow gee-tar plucker. You’re absolutely right too. Everyone needs a “serious” guitar and a “clunker”.
-Flatpicker

Hey Brent, I like my two SP B3 mic's, but I hate the cheap plastic mic holders that came with them and I need two B-series shockmounts for my SP B3 mics... when are the dealers going have the B-series shockmounts for sale? Thanks, DJL

I use my B3 in omni mode for a 1 mic bluegrass band. It also sounds great on my J-45. Maybe it's a Gibson thang. I like to put an AT 4041 at the 12th fret, then the B3 out about 2 feet, aimed at the bottom of the bridge.

Back